Excitons in Low Dimensional Semiconductors
We present high resolution pseudo-absorption spectra of GaAs/GaAIAs quantum wells. Information on the energy spectrum of excitons is obtained from low temperature photoluminescence excitation spectroscopy. The application of an external electric field tunes the energy of the excitons, and fine structure is observed as a result of the interaction of high-angular momentum states and the ground state of the first light-hole exciton. Their oscillator strength is enhanced by means of an external magnetic field. The observed structures are assigned to excited states of excitons by comparison with calculations of excitonic mixing in the presence of external electric and magnetic fields.
KeywordsExcited State Oscillator Strength Excitonic State Zeeman Splitting Stark Shift
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For an excellent review see: V S Lisitsa, Sov.Phy. Usp. 30, 927 (1987) [Usp.Fiz. Nauk 153, 379 (1987)]Google Scholar
- 4.X L Zehng, D Heiman, B Lax, F A Stair, Appl. Phys. Lett. 52, 984 (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.L W Molenkamp, G E W Bauer, R Eppenga, and C T Foxon, Phys, Rev. B 38, 6147.Google Scholar
- 14.J C Maan, private communication.Google Scholar
- 15.R T Collins, L Vina, W I Wang, L L Chang, L Esaki, K v Klitzing and K Ploog. Phys. Rev, B 36, 1531 (1987).Google Scholar