Protection by Seleno-Organic Compound, Ebselen, Against Acute Gastric Mucosal Injury Induced by Ischemia-Reperfusion in Rats
Several pathogenetic mechanisms have been suggested to account for acute gastric mucosal injury. Recently, Oxigen-derived free radicals and lipid peroxidation have been suggested to play a role in the pathogenesis of gastric mucosal injury1,2,3). Ischemia and reperfusion are of the greatest importance in the pathology of many diseases. There has been great interest in the possible role of oxygen radical species in ischemia-reperfusion in the gastric mucosa4). A synthetic seleno-organic compound, 2-phenyl-1, 2 benzoisoselenazol-3(2H)-one(Ebselen), shows a glutathione peroxidase(GSHPx)-like activity-5,6). This study was designed to examine the protective effects of the agent, Ebselen against the gastric mucosal injury induced by ischemia-reperfusion.
KeywordsGastric Mucosa Gastric Acid Secretion Gastric Mucosal Injury Gastric Mucosal Lesion Oxygen Radical Species
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).T. Yoshikawa, N. Yoshida, H. Miyagawa, T. Takemura, T. Tanigawa, S. Sugino, M. Kondo, Role of lipid peroxidation in gastric mucosal lesions in duced by burn shock in rats. J.Clin.Biochem.Nutr.2:163-170(1987).Google Scholar
- 2).T. Yoshikawa, H. Miyagawa, N. Yoshida, T. Tanigawa, Y. Kakimi, S. Sugino, M. Kondo, Role of free radicals in stress-induced gastric mucosal lesions in rats. Excepta Medica.98-1Q3(1986).Google Scholar
- 4).M. Itoh, P. H. Guth, Rule of oxygen-derived free radicals in heamorrhagicschock-induced gastric lesions in the rat. Gastroenterol ogy.88;1162–1167(1985).Google Scholar
- 3).D. A. Parks, G. B. Bulkley, D. N. Granger, Role of oxygen-derived free radicals in digestive tract diseases. Surgery.94:4-15–4-22(1983).Google Scholar
- 5).A. Muller, E. Cadenas, P. Graf, H. Sies, Glutathione peroxidase-like activity in vitro and antioxidant capacity of pz51(Ebselen). Biochemical Phar macology.33:3235–3239(1984).Google Scholar
- 6).M. J. Parnham, S. Kindi, Effect of pz51(Ebselen) on glutathione peroxidaseand secretory activities of mouse macrophages. Biochemical Phar macology. 33:3247–3250(1984).Google Scholar