Kaon and Pion Production in the Reaction Silicon (14.5 AGeV) on Gold
At the AGS several experiments with Silicon projectiles of kinetic energies between 10 and 14.5 AGeV on various targets have been performed in the last two years [1,2]. The experimentally measured transverse energies are compatible with a high degree of nuclear stopping in central collisions indicating thermalization in the colliding system . The observed enhancement in the K+/π+ and K−/π− ratios for Si(14.5AGeV) on a gold target compared to pp collisions at the same C.M. energy gave rise to speculations about the onset of quark gluon plasma formation, because strangeness enhancement is discussed to be a signature for the QGP . However, this problem had been addressed in a simple thermal picture only, leaving aside the complex dynamics of an ultrarelativistic heavy ion collision. To take the dynamics of the collision into account we considered the kaon and pion production in the framework of a microscopic phase space approach which is purely based on hadron physics.
KeywordsPion Production Nucleon Nucleon FRITIOF Model Strangeness Enhancement Additive Quark Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Braun-Munzinger : Z.Phys. C38 (1988) 45Google Scholar
- P. Vincent: talk presented at the conference Quark Matter ’88, Lenox(USA), to be publ. in Nucl. Phys. (1989)Google Scholar
-  N. K. Glendenning, J. Rafelski: Phys.Rev. C31(1985) 823; J. Kapusta, A. Mekijan: Phys.Rev. D33(1986) 1304; T. Matsui, B. Svetitsky, L. D. McLerran: Phys.Rev. D34(1986) 783,2047; K. Kajantie, M. Kataja, P. V. Ruuskanen: Phys.Lett. B179(1986)153; P. Koch: Z. Phys. C38 (1988) 269Google Scholar
- H. Sorge, H. Stöcker, W. Greiner: Ann. Phys. 1989 (in print); talk presented at the conference Quark Matter ’88, to be publ. in Nucl. Phys. (1989)Google Scholar
- Particle Data group: LBL-100 Revised UC-34d (1982)Google Scholar
-  J. Bystricky et al: DPhPE 87-03,Saclay 1987; G. Bertsch, M. Gong, L. McLerran, V. Ruuskanen, E. Sarkkinen: Phys.Rev. D37(1988) 1202; A. M. Rossi : Nucl.Phys. B84(1975)269; C. B. Dover, G. E. Walker: Phys.Rep.Lett. 89 (1982) 1Google Scholar
-  H. W. Barz, H. Iwe: Nucl.Phys. A453(1986)
-  B. Andersson, G. Gustafson, G. Ingelman, T. Sjöstrand: Phys.Rep. 141(1983)
-  T. Sjostrand: Comp.Phys.Comm. 39(1986)347; B. Andersson, G. Gustafson, B. Nilsson-Almqvist: Nucl.Phys. B281 (1987) 289Google Scholar
- R. Mattiello, H. Sorge, H. Stocker, W. Greiner: subm. to Phys. Rev. Let t. 1989Google Scholar