Structure and Properties of Point Defects in Semiconductors
Junction spectroscopic methods utilize voltage modulation of the depletion width of a semiconductor junction to isolate and detect electronic transitions at defect states which are positioned in the band gap. Measurement structures may employ p-n junctions, Schottky-barriers or metal-insulator semiconductor junctions. The key feature of the approach is the separation of the carrier capture and emission processes by control of the Fermi level with junction bias. The semiconductor junction provides an ideal sample system for the control of defect charge state, the measurement of defect density, and the observation of the spectrum of defect state energies. The primary limitation of this approach is that it provides no chemical signature. The energy position and capture cross sections of a defect state yield no direct aid in identification.
KeywordsCharge State Schottky Barrier Stress Coupling Defect State Capture Cross Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.J. L. Benton, L. C. Kimerling and M. Stavola, Physica 116B:271 (1983).Google Scholar
- 9.J. L. Benton, K. M. Lee, P. E. Freeland and L. C. Kimerling, J. Electronic Materials 14b:647 (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.K. M. Lee, J. M. Trombetta and G. D. Watkins, in: “Microscopic Identification of Defects in Semiconductors,” N. M. Johnson, S. G. Bishop and G. D. Watkins, eds., Matr. Res. Soc. Proc., Vol. 46, MRS, Pittsburgh (1985), p. 263.Google Scholar
- 15.L. C. Kimerling, in “Radiation Effects in Semiconductors 1976,” Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. 31, edited by N. B. Urli and J. W. Corbett, Institute of Physics, London, 1977 p. 221.Google Scholar
- 18.L. C. Kimerling, J. R. Patel, J. L. Benton and P. E. Freeland, in “Defects and Radiation Effects in Semiconductors 1980,” Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. 59, edited by R. R. Hasiguti, Institute of Physics, London, 1981 p. 401.Google Scholar
- 19.L. C. Kimerling, M. T. Asom, J. L. Benton, P. J. Drevinsky and C. E. Cafer in: “Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Defects in Semiconductors, Budapest, 1988,” Materials Science Forum, Trans-Tech. Pub., Switzerland (1988).Google Scholar
- 20.L. C. Kimerling and J. L. Benton, Physica, 116B:297 (1983).Google Scholar