Ab-Initio Study of Amorphous and Liquid Carbon
The bonded forms of carbon in solid and liquid states have considerable variations with many characteristics which make them interesting for a wide range of researchers1–4. Nevertheless, outstanding questions concerning the properties of both non-crystalline and liquid carbon are yet unanswered; in particular, knowledge of the structural and electronic properties of the low density disordered phases, the nature of the liquid state and the melting mechanism — despite systematic investigations4 of the carbon phase diagram carried out in different fields, such as condensed matter physics1, astrophysics2 and geology3.
KeywordsRadial Distribution Function Liquid Carbon Kohn Sham Macroscopic Density Systematic Investigations4
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.(b)D.A. Young and R. Groover, Nature (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.(b)J. Heremas, C.H. Olk, G.L. Eeseley, J. Steinbeck and G. Dresselhaus, Phys. Rev. Lett. 60:453 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.g-C has low density (ρ = 101.5 gr.cm-3), while experiments (see, e.g., Ref. 1a) suggest that a-C has ρ = 1.8–2.7 gr.cm-3.Google Scholar
- 7.(c)B.T. Boiko, L.S. Palatnik and A.S. Derevyanchenko, Sov. Physics Doklady, 13:237 (1968)Google Scholar
- 7.(d)L. Cervinka, F.P. Dousek and J. Jansta, Phil. Mag. B 51:604 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.(b)Y.Y. Wnag, A.L. Ritter, T.J. Fabish and J.A. Nemetz, Bull. Amer. Phys.Soc. 33:354 (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.(c)C. Gao, A.L. Ritter, T.J. Basish and J.A. Nemetz, Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc. 33:354 (1988).Google Scholar
- 12.(b)N.S. Fateeva and L.F. Vereshchagin, JEPT Lett. 13:119 (1971).Google Scholar
- 16.P.P.K. Smith and P.R. Buseck, Science 216:985 (1982) and ibid, 229:487 (1985).Google Scholar
- 21.sp, sp 2 and sp 3 sites designates 2, 3 and 4 coordinated atoms, respectively. We have defined the coordination by considering neighbor atoms to lie at a distance less than the first minimum of the pair correlation function g(r).Google Scholar
- 22.The bond lengths in the crystal structures have been obtained with the same kinetic energy cut-off as that adopted for a-C, which leads to an overestimate of the corresponding experimental values of about 2%, if Ecut = 32 Ry is used.Google Scholar