Sequencing of Mammalian Messenger RNA Using Oligonucleotide Primers: Application to Hypoxanthine Phosphoribosyltransferase and a Phosphoglycerate Kinase Variant
We have investigated the suitability of applying primer directed dideoxynucleotide mediated sequencing methods to the characterization of low abundance messages. Direct mRNA sequence analysis is based on the priming of a target within a heterogeneous population of RNA by using oligonucleotide primers complimentary to the mRNA of interest. We have examined the minimal message abundance limits and mRNA amounts required for direct dideoxynucleotide RNA sequencing as a means of exploring the utility of this approach in characterizing point mutations.
KeywordsPhosphoglycerate Kinase Hypoxanthine Phosphoribosyltransferase Amino Acid Composition Analysis Mouse Neuroblastoma Cell Line Nonspherocytic Hemolytic Anemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D.J. Jolly, H. Okayama, P. Berg, A.C. Esty, D. Filpula, P. Bohlen, G.G. Johnson, J.E. Shively, T. Hunkapillar, and T. Friedmann, Isolation and characterization of a full-length expressible cDNA for human hypoxanthine phosphoribosyl-transferase, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 80: 477 (1983).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.P.H. Hamylyn, M.J. Gait, and C. Milstein, Complete sequence of an immunoglobulin mRNA using specific priming and dideoxynucleotide method of RNA sequencing, Nucleic Acids Res. 15: 1067 (1981).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Singer-Sam, R.L. Simmer, D.H. Keith, L. Shively, M. Teplitz, K. Itakura, S.M. Gartler, and A.D. Riggs, Isolation of a cDNA clone for human X-linked 3-phosphoglycerate kinase by use of a mixture of synthetic oligodeoxyribonucleotides as a detection probe, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 80: 802 (1983).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.D.W. Melton, D.S. Konecki, D.H. Ledbetter, J.F. Hejmanik, and C.T. Caskey, In vitro translation of hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase mRNA: characterization of a mouse neuroblastoma cell line that has elevated levels of hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase protein, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 78: 6977 (1981).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.R. Joshi and F.F. Snyder, in preparation.Google Scholar