New Polymers for Aqueous Two-Phase Systems
New aqueous polymer two-phase systems have been studied. The aim has been to develop phase systems suitable for large scale applications. Derivatives of starch, cellulose and poly(vinyl alcohol) were investigated. The phase separation in aqueous solutions of the polymers was studied, as well as the partitioning in the new phase systems of macromolecules, cell particles and cells. With cellulose derivatives it has been found that phase systems can be formed at very low polymer concentrations. In phase systems based on poly(vinyl alcohol) new partitioning properties have been obtained.
KeywordsPolymer Concentration Phase System Vinyl Alcohol Salt Composition Increase Polymer Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P.-Å. Albertsson, “Partition of Cell Particles and Macromolecules,” 3rd ed., Wiley, New York (1986)Google Scholar
- 2.H. Walter, D.E. Brooks and D. Fisher, “Partitioning in Aqueous Two-Phase Systems: Theory, Methods, Uses, and Applications to Biotechnology,” Academic Press, New York (1985)Google Scholar
- 3.K.H. Kroner, H. Hustedt and M.-R. Kula, Extractive enzyme recovery: economic considerations, Process Biochem. 19:170 (1984)Google Scholar
- 7.M.-R. Kula, K.H. Kroner and H. Hustedt, Purification of enzymes by liquid-liquid extraction, Adv. Biochem. Bioeng. 24:73 (1982)Google Scholar
- 9.E.T. Hjermstad, Starch hydroxyethyl ethers and other starch ethers, in: “Industrial Gums — Polysaccharides and Their Derivatives,” R.L. Whistler and J.N. BeMiller, eds., Academic Press, New York (1973)Google Scholar
- 12.F. Tjerneld and G. Johansson, U.S. Patent 4,740,304Google Scholar
- 15.S. Lindenfors and I. Jullander, Ethylhydroxyethyl-cellulose, in: “Industrial Gums — Polysaccharides and Their Derivatives,” R.L. Whistler and J.N. BeMiller, eds., Academic Press, New York (1973)Google Scholar
- 16.O. Stenberg, Berol Kemi AB, Stenungsund, Sweden, personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 17.I. Persson, F. Tjerneld and B. Hagn-Hägerdal, Cultivation and enzyme production in aqueous two-phase systems with Trichoderma reesei and with Aspergillus phoenicis, Lecture at IVA and EFB Workshop, 10–11 November 1986 in IVA-report 330, Stockholm (1987)Google Scholar