Continuous Crosscurrent Extraction of Proteins in Process Scale
Automated continuous cross-current extraction of intracellular microbial enzymes from disrupted cells has been studied using a two-stage plant capable of processing 20–30 kg biomass per hour. The results reveal the feasibility of this advanced method of downstream processing by aqueous two-phase extraction.
KeywordsBottom Phase Penicillin Acylase Crosscurrent Extraction Aqueous Phase System Continuous Crosscurrent Extraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P.-Å. Albertsson, “Partition of Cell Particles and Macromolecules,” 3rd edition, Wiley-Interscience, New York (1986)Google Scholar
- 3.H. Hustedt, K.-H. Kroner and M.-R. Kula, Applications of phase partitioning in biotechnology, in: “Partitioning in Aqueous Two-Phase Systems. Theory, Methods, Uses and Applications to Biotechnology,” H. Walter, D.E. Brooks and D. Fisher, eds., Adademic Press, New York (1986)Google Scholar
- 4.H. Hustedt, K.-H. Kroner, H. Schütte and M.-R. Kula, Extractive purification of enzymes, in: “Enzyme Technology,” R.M. Lafferty, ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1983)Google Scholar
- 5.H. Hustedt, K.-H. Kroner and M.-R. Kula, Continuous enzyme purification by crosscurrent extraction, Proc. 3rd Eur. Congr. Biotechnol. vol. II, Verlag Chemie, Weinheim (1984)Google Scholar
- 8.H. Hustedt, K.-H. Kroner and N. Papamichael, Recovery of microbial proteins by continuous crosscurrent extraction, ISEC’ 86, vol. 3:597, Dechema, Frankfurt 1986Google Scholar
- 10.N. Papamichael and H. Hustedt, Improved economics of extractive enzyme recovery by recycling: a case study, in: “Separations Using Aqueous Phase Systems: Applications in Cell Biology and Biotechnology,” D. Fisher and I.A. Sutherland, eds., Plenum, New York (1989)Google Scholar
- 11.H. Hustedt, B. Bürner, N. Papamichael and R. Krützfeldt, Efficient downstream processing of proteins, Proc. 4th Eur. Congr. Biotechnol.. vol. 2:531, Elsevier, Amsterdam (1987)Google Scholar
- 12.H. Hustedt, R. Krützfeldt and N. Papamichael, Fast downstream processing of proteins by flocculation and liquid extraction, in: “Separations Using Aqueous Phase Systems: Applications in Cell Biology and Biotechnology,” D. Fisher and I.A. Sutherland, eds., Plenum, New York (1989)Google Scholar