Translational Control of Gene Expression in E. Coli: The Case of Threonyl-tRNA Synthetase
A wide range of functions are devoted to RNA molecules in the cell. Besides their canonical role in the protein biosynthetic machinery, RNAs are involved in a large number of other functions, such as priming of roverse transcription (Kikuchi et al., 1986), self splicing of the rRNA intron of the ciliate Tetrahymena and many other catalytic activities (Cech and Bass, 1986). This makes it likely that life began with RNA serving both as a genome and and as a catalyst for its own replication. Obviously, the RNA three-dimensional structures determine many of their biological activities. Messenger RNAs also must be considered as dynamic molecules whose structure might have a direct effect on their function in the decoding process.
KeywordsTranslational Operator Translational Initiation Site Anticodon Loop Constitutive Mutant Calculated Free Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ames B. N., Tsang T. H., Buck M and Christman M. F., 1983. The leader mRNA of the histidine attenuator region rossembios tRNAHis. Possible general regulatory implications, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 80:52.Google Scholar
- Butler, J.S., Springer, M., Dondon, J., Grunberg-Manago, M., 1986, Posttranscriptional autoregulation of E. coli threonyl-tRNA synthetase oxprossion in vivo, J. Bactoriol., 165: 198–203.Google Scholar
- Hartz, D., McPheeters, D.S., Traut, R. and Gold, L., 1988, Extension inhibition analysis of translation initiation complexes. Methods in Enzymology, In press.Google Scholar
- Lestienne, P., Plumbridge, J.A., Grunberg-Manago, M. and Blanquet, S., 1984, Autogenous repression of E. coli threonyl-tRNA synthetase expression in vitro, J. Bio. Chem. 259: 5232–5237.Google Scholar
- Moine, H., Romby, P., Springer, M., Grunberg-Manago, M., Ebel, J.-P., Ehresmann, C. and Ehresmann, B., 1988, Messenger RNA structure and gene regulation at the translational level in Escherichia coli: the case of throonino tRNAThr ligase, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA, 85: 7892–7897.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Springer, M., Graffe, M., Dondon, J., Grunberg-Manago, M., Romby, P., Ehresmann, B., Ehresmann, C. and Ebel, J.-P., 1988, Translational control in E. coli: the case of threonyl-tRNA synthetase, in: “Genetics of Translation”, M. F. Tuite et al., eds., NATO ASI Series, Vol. H14, Springer Verlag, pp. 463-47Google Scholar