Can Plant RNA Viruses Exchange Genetic Material?
The problem of the exchange of genetic material among viruses is intimately related to that of the evolution of these viruses, as are also the acquisition or the loss of genetic material. Similarly, the concept of virus evolution is associated with that of the origin of viruses.
KeywordsInfluenza Virus Plant Virus Barley Yellow Dwarf Virus Virus Family Sindbis Virus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bruening, G., 1977, Plant covirus systems: two-component systems, in: “Comprehensive Virology”, H. Fraenkel-Conrat, and R. R. Wagner, eds., Plenum Press, New York, vol. 11, pp. 55–141.Google Scholar
- DePolo, N. J., Giachetti, C., and Holland, J. J., 1987, Continuing coevolution of virus and defective interfering particles and of viral genome sequences during undiluted passages: virus mutants exhibiting nearly complete resistance to formely dominant defective interfering particles, J. Virol. 61:454–464.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Goldbach, R., and Wellink, J., 1988, Evolution of plus-strand RNA viruses, Intervirology, submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Gorbalenya, A. E., Koonin, E. V., Donchenko, A. P., and Blinov, V. M., 1988a, A novel superfamily of nucleoside triphosphate-binding motif containing proteins which are probably involved in duplex unwinding in DNA and RNA replication and recombination, FEBS Lett. 235:16–24.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gorbalenya, A. E., Blinov, V. M., Donchenko, A. P., and Koonin, E. V., 1988b, An NTP-binding motif is the most conserved sequence in a highly diverged monophyletic group of proteins involved in positive strand RNA viral replication, J. Mol. Evol., in press.Google Scholar
- Hodgman, T. C., and Zimmern, D., 1988, Evolution of RNA viruses, in: “RNA Genetics”, J. Holland, E. Domingo, and P. Ahlquist, eds., CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla., in press.Google Scholar
- Horiuchi, K., 1975, Genetic studies of RNA phages, in: “RNA Phages”, N. D. Zinder, ed., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, pp. 29–50.Google Scholar
- Joshi, R. L., Joshi, S., Chapeville, F., and Haenni, A.L., 1983a, Primary and secondary structures of the tRNA-like regions of the genomes of plant RNA viruses, in: “Endocytobiology II”, H. E. A. Schenk, and W. Schwemmler, eds., Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, pp. 57–68.Google Scholar
- King, A. M. Q., Ortlepp, S. A., Newman, J. W. I., and McCahon, D., 1987, Genetic recombination in RNA viruses, in: “The Molecular Biology of the Positive Strand RNA Viruses”, D. J. Rowlands, M. A. Mayo, and B. W. J. Mahy, eds., Academic Press, London, pp. 129–152.Google Scholar
- Mayo, M. A., 1987, A comparison of the translation strategies used by bipartite genome, RNA plant viruses, in: “The Molecular Biology of the Positive Strand RNA Viruses”, D. J. Rowlands, M. A. Mayo, and B. W. J. Mahy, eds., Academic Press, London, pp. 177–205.Google Scholar
- Monroe, S. S., and Schlesinger, S., 1984, Common and distinct regions of defective-interfering RNAs of Sindbis virus, J. Virol. 49:825–872.Google Scholar
- Morch, M. D., and Haenni, A.L., 1987, Organization of plant virus genomes that comprise a single RNA molecule, in: “The Molecular Biology of the Positive Strand RNA Viruses”, D. J. Rowlands, M. A. Mayo, and B. W. J. Mahy, eds., Academic Press, London, pp. 153–175.Google Scholar
- Rossmann, M. G., Arnold, E., Erickson, J. W., Frankenberger, E. A., Griffith, J. P., Hecht, H. J., Johnson, J. E., Kamer, G., Luo, M., Mosser, A. G., Rueckert, R. R., Sherry, B., and Vriend, G., 1985, Structure of a human common cold virus and functional relationship to other picornaviruses, Nature 317:145–153.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Strauss, J. H., and Strauss, E. G., 1988, Evolution of RNA viruses, Ann. Rev. Microbiol. 42: in press.Google Scholar
- Strauss, J. H., Strauss, E. G., Hahn, C. S., Hahn, Y. S., Galler, R., Hardy, W. R., and Rice, C. M., 1987, Replication of alphaviruses and flaviviruses: proteolytic processing of polyproteins, in: “Positive Strand RNA Viruses”, M. A. Brinton, and R. R. Rueckert, eds., Alan R. Liss, Inc., New York, pp. 209–225.Google Scholar
- Stollar, V., 1980, Defective interfering alphaviruses, in: “The Togaviruses, Biology, Structure, Replication”, R. W. Schlesinger, ed., Academic Press, New York, pp. 427–457.Google Scholar
- Symons, R. H., Haseloff, J., Visvader, J. E., Keese, P., Murphy, P. J., Gordon, K. H. J., and Bruening, G., 1985, On the mechanism of replication of viroids, virusoids and satellite RNAs, in: “Subviral Pathogens of Plants and Animals: Viroids and Prions”, K. Maramorosch, and J. J. McKelvey, eds., Academic Press, New York, pp. 235–263.Google Scholar
- Van Duin, J., 1988, Single-stranded RNA bacteriophages, in: “The Bacteriophages”, R. Calendar, ed., Plenum Press, New York, vol. 1, pp. 117–167.Google Scholar
- Van Vloten-Doting, L., and Jaspars, E. M. J., 1977, Plant covirus systems: three-component systems, in: “Comprehensive Virology”, H. Fraenkel-Conrat, and R. R. Wagner, eds., Plenum Press, New York, vol. 11, pp. 1–53.Google Scholar