Organization and Evolution of Genomes as seen from a Megabase Perspective
It seems appropriate that the evolutionary pattern of gene expression is the focus of this special workshop to commemorate many years of molecular biology advanced study institutes on Spetses. These institutes have witnessed the evolution of molecular biology from the earliest days, where only basic processes in simple organisms were studied, to the present, where no biological issue or organism seems too complex to withstand analysis by molecular methods. For those of us privileged to participate in a number of such institutes, the process has been one of continual scientific growth and stimulation. The methods and approaches described below were not even conceived of a decade ago. Yet, already they are sufficiently standard to require almost mandatory inclusion as one introduces newcomers to the state of the art of molecular biology.
KeywordsMammalian Genome Mouse Cell Line Order Structure Function Extensive Methylation Cystic Fibrosis Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cantor, C.R., Smith, C.L., and Argarana, C., 1987, Strategies for finishing physical maps of macro-DNA regions, in: “Integration and Control of Metabolic Processes: Pure and Applied Aspects,” O.L. Kon and M.C.-M. Chung, P.L.H. Hwang, S.-F. Leong, K.H. Loke, P. Thiyagarajah, P.T.-H. Wong, eds., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England. p. 427.Google Scholar
- Fan, J.B., Chikashige, Y., Smith, C.L., Niwa, O., Yanagida, M., and Cantor, C.R., 1988, Construction of a Not I restriction map of the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe genome, m.s. in preparation.Google Scholar
- Lawrance, S.K., Srivastava, R., Chorney, M.J., Rigas, B., Vasavada, H., Gillespie, G.A., Smith, C., Cantor, C., Collins, F.S., Weissman, S.M., 1986, Molecular Approaches to the characterization of megabase regions of DNA: Applications to the human major histocompatibility complex. Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol., 51: 123.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moyzis, R., 1988, Personal communication.Google Scholar
- Smith, C.L., 1988, Unpublished results.Google Scholar
- Smith, C.L., Lawrance, S.K., Gillespie, G.A., Cantor, C.R., Weissman, S.M., and Collins, F.S., 1987b, Strategies for mapping an cloning macro-regions of mammalian genomes, in: “Methods in Enzymology,” M. Gottesman, ed., Academic Press, New York. 151: 461.Google Scholar
- Smith, C.L., Yu, M.T. and Cantor, C.R., 1988. Unpublished results.Google Scholar