Preparation of Thin and Thick Film Superconductors in the Tl-Ca-Ba-Cu-O System
The advent of high temperature superconductivity in Cu-O based materials has catalyzed a tremendous amount of activity in the synthesis, characterization and application of these materials . The recent discovery of superconductivity above liquid nitrogen temperature in the Bi-Ca-Sr-Cu-O system  and Tl-Ca-Ba-Cu-O system  has led to hopes that these materials could overcome some of the problems experienced to date in the first system to superconduct above liquid nitrogen temperature, the rare earth (Re)Ba2Cu3O7  The (Re)Ba2Cu3O7 materials suffer from many problems including: weak links between the grains in polycrystalline aggregates , a complex equilibrium with oxygen, a phase change in the region where the material is processed and limited chemical stability. Further, the Tc of these materials near 90K is probably too close to 77K for many applications. These limitations mean substantial hurdles to the practical utilization of the (Re)Ba2Cu3O7 materials.
KeywordsThick Film Critical Current Rapid Thermal Annealing Liquid Nitrogen Temperature Superconducting Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.H. Maeda, Y. Tanaka, M. Fukutomi and T. Asano, Japan J. Appl. Phys. 27, L209 (1987).Google Scholar
- 3.Z. Z. Sheng, A. M. Hermann, A. El Ali, C. Almasan, J. Estrada, T. Datta and A. Hermann, Nature 332, 138 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.J. F. Kwak, E. L. Venturini, D. S. Ginley, and W. Fu, in Novel Superconductivity, edited by S. A. Wolf and V. Z. Kresin (Plenum, New York, 1987 ), p. 983.Google Scholar
- 6.J.F. Kwak, E. L. Venturini, R. J. Baughman, B. Morosin, and D. S. Ginley, Physica C 156,103(1988): and Cryogenics, accepted.Google Scholar
- 7.D. S. Ginley, B. Morosin, B. J. Baughman, E. L. Venturini, J. E. Schirber and J. F. Kwak, Journal of Crystal Growth, 91, 456 (1988).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Meada, Y. Tanaka, M. Fukutomi and J. Asamo, Japan J. Appl. Phys., 27, 2 (1988).Google Scholar
- 9.S. A. Sunshine, T. Siegrist, L. F. Schneemmeyer, D. W. Murphy, R. J. Cava, B. Batlogg, R. B. van Dover, R. M. Fleming, L. H. Glarum, S. Nakahara, R. Farrow, J. J. Krajewski, S. M. Zahurak, J. V, Waszczak, J. H. Marshall, P. Marsh, L. W. Rupp Jr. and W. F. Peck, Phys. Rev. B, 38, 893 (1988).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.B. Morosin, D. S. Ginley, E. L. Venturini, P. F. Hlava, R. J. Baughman, J. F. Kwak and J. E. Schirber, Physica C-Superconductivity, 152, 223 (1988).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Nakao, R. Yuasa, M. Nemoto, H. Kuwahara, H. Mukaida and A. Mizukami, Jap. J. Appl. Phys., 27, L849 (1988)Google Scholar
- 16.E. L. Venturini, J. F. Kwak, D. S. Ginley, B. Morosin and R. J. Baughman, Workshop on High Temperature Superconductivity. NIST, Gathersburg, MD, 11–13 Oct. 1988, pg. xxxGoogle Scholar
- 17.E. L. Venturini, J. F. Kwak, D. S. Ginley, B. Morosin and R. J. Baughman, Proceedings of Conf. on The Science and Technology of Thin Film Superconductors, R. McConnell ed., Nov. 1988, Colorado Springs, CO pg xxx.Google Scholar