Superconducting Properties of Ultra-Thin Films of Y1Ba2Cu3O7-x
We have grown ultra-thin films of Y1Ba2Cu3O7-x in situ on (001) SrTiO3 by pulsed laser deposition. The zero resistance transition temperature (TCO) is > 90 K for films > 300 Å thick. The critical current density (JC at 77 K) is 0.8 × 106 A/cm2 for a 300 Å film and 4–5 × 106 A/cm2 for a 1000 Å film. The TCO and JC deteriorate rapidly below 300 Å, reaching values of 82 K and 300 A/cm2 at 77 K, respectively, for a 100 Å film. Films only 50 Å thick exhibit metallic behavior and possible evidence of superconductivity without showing zero resistance to 10 K. These results are understood on the basis of the defects formed at the film-substrate interface, the density of which rapidly decreases over a thickness of 100 Å. We have studied these defects by ion channeling measurements and cross section transmission electron microscopy. Our results suggest that the superconducting transport in these films is likely to be two dimensional in nature, consistent with the short coherence length along the c-axis of the crystals.
KeywordsPulse Laser Deposition Critical Current Density Cross Section Transmission Electron Microscopy Normal State Resistance Short Coherence Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Adachi, K. Hirochi, K. Setsune, M.Kitabake, and K. Wasa, Appl. Phys. Lett., 51, 2263 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.Y. Bando, T. Terashima, K. lijima, K. Yamamoto and H. Mazaki, Physica C 153–155 (1988) 810–811.Google Scholar
- 7.W. J. Gallagher, T. W. Worthington, T. R. Dinger, F. Holtberg, D. L. Kaiser, and R. L. Sandstrom, in Superconductivity in Highly Correlated Fermion Systems, edited by M. Tachiki, Y. Muto, and S, Mackawa ( North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1987 ) pp. 228–232.Google Scholar
- 9.X. D. Wu, B. Dutta, M. S. Hegde, A. Inam, T. Venkatesan, E. W. Chase, C. C. Chang and R. Howard, Appl. Phys. Lett. (to be published).Google Scholar
- 11.X. D. Wu, A. Inam, M. S. Hegde, T. Venkatesan, C. C. Chang, E. W. Chase, B. Wilkens and J. M. Tarascon, Phys. Rev. B38, 9307 (1988).Google Scholar
- 12.L. Nazar, Proc. 46th Ann. EMSA Meeting, ed. by G. W. Bailey ( San Francisco Press, San Francisco, 1988 ), p. 862.Google Scholar
- 13.D. M. Hwang, L. Nazar, T. Venkatesan, and X. D. Wu, Appl. Phys. Lett. 52, 1834 (1988).Google Scholar
- 14.P. England (unpublished).Google Scholar