Simulation of Large-Scale Astronomical CCD Surveys
We present the first stage of a project to develop a computer model of a CCD camera system dedicated to galaxy surveys. We plan to improve old and develop new algorithms for reduction and analysis of digital astronomical images. We intend to apply our model to testing theories and observations of the large-scale distribution of galaxies, and data reduction methods. We present here the results of the initial, testing phase of our project, which consists of the development of a benchmark for the main software packages that are commonly used to reduce and analyze astronomical observations. Our initial tests will measure the efficiency and accuracy of such software.
KeywordsCosmological Model Future Version Luminosity Function Stochastic Noise Poisson Noise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- De Vaucouleurs, G., 1942, Annales d’Astrophysique. 11:247.Google Scholar
- Geller, M.J., et al., 1988, (in preparation).Google Scholar
- Gull, S., and Skilling, J., 1987, “MEMSYS II: Maximum Entropy Data Consultants”Cambridge, U.K.Google Scholar
- Kruszewski, A., 1987, INVENTORY, in: “MIDAS software package”.Google Scholar
- Kurtz, M.J., and Falco, E.E., 1988, im these proceedings.Google Scholar
- Press, W., et al., 1986, im “Numerical Recipes”Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Valdes, F., 1982, Proc. S.P.I.E.. 331:435.Google Scholar