Selective Thermal Neutron Capture Therapy and Diagnosis of Malignant Melanoma: From Basic Studies to First Clinical Treatment
As melanoma genesis occurs in pigment cells, accentuated melanogenesis concurrently occurs in principlel. Thus, harnessing this accentuation of melanogenesis, we developed a new mutually-dependent two-step therapy, in which melanogenesis-seeking compounds first specifically target melanoma cells, enabling the powerful second step to selectively destroy the targeted cells. Our new thermal neutron capture therapy2,3,4,5(NCT) uses a 10B-dopa(melanin substrate) analogue, 10B1-p-boronophenylalanine (10B1-BPA) which accumulates preferentially in melanoma cells6,7. The cells then are irradiated with thermal neutrons to induce the 10B(n, α)7Li reaction which releases energy of 2.33MeV to a distance of 10~14μ, the diameter of melanoma cells. Extensive in vitro and in vivo radiobiological analysis8 confirmed the highly enhanced killing effect of 10B1-BPA. Measurements of the accumulating capacity of 10B1-BPA into melanoma cells in vitro and in vivo using both chemical and prompt gamma ray spectrometry7 assay showed its high affinity for these cells9.
KeywordsThermal Neutron Relative Biological Effectiveness Thermal Neutron Capture Melanoma Lesion Clinical Dosimetry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Mishima, M. Ichihashi, K. Hayashibe, M. Ueda, S, Hatta, Y. Funasaka and G. Imokawa, Control of melanogenesis and melanoma oncogenesis, in: “Advances in Pigment Cell Research”, Proc. of 13th Int. Pig. Cell Conf., Tucson, Arizona, Oct. 5–9, 1986. Alan R. Liss, New York (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Mishima and T. Shimakage, Thermal neutron capture treatment of malignant melanoma using 10B-dopa and 10812-chlorpromazine compound, in:“Pigment Cell”, Vol.2:394, V. Riley, ed., S. Karger, Basel (1976).Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Mishima, M. Ichihashi, T. Nakanishi and T. Nakagawa, Selective thermal neutron capture therapy of cancer cells using their specific functional differentiation, Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute(KURRI)-Technical Report 195: 3 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Mishima, “Selective Thermal Neutron Capture Treatment of Malignant Melanoma Using Its Specific Metabolic Ability”, KURRI-Technical Report 260 Y. Mishima, ed. (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.Y. Mishima, M. Ichihashi, T. Nakanishi, M. Tsuji, M. Ueda, T. Nakagawa and T. Suzuki, Cure of malignant melanoma by single thermal neutron capture treatment using melanoma seeking compounds:10B/melanogenesis interaction to in vitro /in vivo radiobiological analysis to preclinical studies, in:“Proc. 1st Int. Symp. Neutron Capture Therapy”, BNL51730:355, R. G. Fairchild, G. L. Brownell, eds., U.S.Government Printing Office (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.K. Yoshino, M. Okamoto, H. Kakihana, T. Nakanishi, M. Ichihashi and Y. Mishima, Spectrophotometric determination of trace boron in biological materials after alkali fusion decomposition, Anal. Chem. 56: 839 (1984).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Ichihashi, Y. Mishima, M. Ueda, K. Hayashibe, S. Hatta, Y. Funasaka, H. Fujiwara and K. Yoshino, Selective lethal effects of 10Bi-paraboronophenylalanine on mouse and human melanoma cells in thermal neutron capture therapy enhanced by tyrosine and phenylalanine deficiency, in:“Neutron Capture Therapy”, Proc. 2nd Int. Symp. Neutron Capture Therapy, H. Hatanaka, ed., Nishimura Co., Ltd., Niigata, Japan (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.K. Yoshino, M. Okamoto, H. Kakihana, Y. Mori, Y. Mishima, M. Ichihashi, M. Tsuji and T. Nakanishi, Studies on melanoma-seeking agent, 10B-p-boronophenylalanine HC1, KURRI-Technical Report 260: 233 (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.Y. Mishima, M. Ichihashi and S. Hatta, Malignant melanoma cure by selective thermal neutron capture therapy, American Nuclear Society Transactions 53: 33 (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.K. Taniyama, H. Fujiwara, T. Kuno, N. Saito, H. Shuntoh, M. Sakaue and C. Tanaka, Acute and subacute toxicity of 10B-paraboronophenylalanine, Proc. 2nd Japan-Australia Workshop on Neutron Capture Therapy for Malignant Melanoma, Pig. Cell.Google Scholar
- 12.H. Karashima, J. Hiratsuka and Y. Mishima, Clinical dosimetry using human phantom with skeleton bone for thermal neutron capture therapy, in:“Neutron Capture Therapy”, H. Hatanaka, ed., Nishimura, Niigata, Japan (1986).Google Scholar
- 13.H. Tamauchi, K. Tamaoki, M. Ueda and Y, Mishima, Therapeutic effect of thermal neutron capture therapy on human melanoma growing in nude mouse, KURRI-Technical Report 260: 91 (1985).Google Scholar