Immunomodulation of Pre-Diabetes in BB Rats for Prevention of the Disease
The use of insulin therapy in the treatment of diabetes was naturally heralded as a cure for this otherwise lethal malady (1). It has now become apparent that, although insulin therapy avoids the acute morbidity and mortality associated with the disease, it allows those afflicted to develop a host of chronic debilitating complications. To eliminate such complications it seems likely that more refined treatment modalities and/or effective disease prevention strategies will be necessary, and that this will require further understanding the pathogenesis of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM).
KeywordsTolerance Model Spontaneous Diabetes Neonatal Tolerance Prediabetic Period Wistar Furth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Banting, F.G., Best, C.H., 1922, The internal secretion of the pancreas. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 251–266.Google Scholar
- 3.VonMeyenburg, H., 1940, Ueber “Insulitus” bei diabetes. Schweiz Med. Wochenschr. 21:554.Google Scholar
- 4.Irvine, W.J., 1980, Immunological Aspects of Diabetes Mellitus: A Review (including the salient points of NDDG report on the classification of diabetes). In Immunology of Diabetes, Irvine, W.J., ed. Edinburgh, Teviot Scientific Publications, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 7.Fuks, A., Colle, E., Ono, S., Prud’homme, G., Seemayer, T., and Guttman, R.D., 1988, Immunogenetic studies of insulin-dependent diabetes in the BB rat. In: Frontiers in Diabetes Research, (Shafir, E., and Renold, A.E., eds.) London, John Libbey, p. 29.Google Scholar
- 8.Like, A.A., Guberski, D.L., and Butler, L, 1986, Diabetic biobreeding/ worester (BB/Wor) rats need not be lymphopenic. J. of Immunol. 3254–58.Google Scholar
- 14.Brayman, K.L., Markmann, J.F., Barker, C.F., and Naji, A., 1988, Immunoprediction of diabetes and evaluation of pancreatic islet transplantation during the prediabetic period. Surgery 4:445–451.Google Scholar
- 15.Brayman, K.L., Markmann, J.F., Silvers, W.K., Barker, C.F., and Naji, A., 1987, The immunoregulation of autoimmune diabetes in BB rats is MHC-restricted. Diabetes 36 (Suppl. 1):65A.Google Scholar
- 16.Brayman, K.L., Markmann, J.F., Barker, C.F., and Naji, A., 1988, Prevention of diabetes in BB rats requires lymphocytes functionally restricted to MHC-compatible thymic determinants. Diabetes 37 (Supp. I); 55A.Google Scholar