Kidney Disease in KK Mice: Effect of Glipizide
We previously demonstrated that glomerulosclerosis and proteinuria can be prevented by control of blood glucose levels either by insulin or glyburide in genetically diabetic KK mice (1,2). Also, we demonstrated that poor control of glucose despite treatment with glyburide did not prevent glomerulosclerosis in a subset of KK mice (2). This reinforces the impact of glycemic control in the prevention of diabetic nephropathy. The purpose of the present study is two-fold: 1) to evaluate the efficacy of another second generation sulfonylurea compound, glipizide, in controlling blood glucose levels in KK mice; and 2) to investigate the relationship between glucose control and structural, biochemical and functional characteristics of kidney disease in KK mice.
KeywordsDiabetic Nephropathy Oral Glucose Tolerance Test Glomerular Basement Membrane Kidney Weight Kidney Size
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Reddi, A.S., Velasco, C.A., Wehner, H., and Gamerini-Davalos, R.A., 1988, The effect of early insulin therapy on diabetic glomerulosclerosis (GS) and proteinuria in KK mice. FASEB 2 (6): A1593 (abstract).Google Scholar
- 3.Ghen, J., Freeman, G., Zarco, R., and Halbert, S., 1982, A standardized system for the determination of hemoglobin A1 using a computerized photometer. J. Glin. Lab. Automat. 2: 183–90.Google Scholar
- 5.Lowry, O.H., Rosenbrough, N.J., Farr, A.L., and Randall, P.J., 1951, Protein measurement with the Folin Phenol reagent. J. Biol. Ghem. 193: 265–75.Google Scholar
- 7.Reddi, A.S., and Gamerini-Davalos, R.A., 1982, Metabolism of glomerular basement membrane in diabetes mellitus. In Diabetes, 1982, Mngola, E. N., Ed. Amsterdam, Excerpta Medica 1983: 449–57.Google Scholar
- 8.Reddi, A.S., and Gamerini-Davalos, R.A.: Diabetic nephropathy: An update (submitted).Google Scholar