Development of Microvascular and Islet Cell Alterations in Rats with Spontaneous Non Insulin-Dependent Diabetes
During the last few years, our group has been engaged in the study of ultrastructural and biochemical aspects of insulin secretion. In this regard, we have described the changes occurring in the size of several structures of the B cell (1) in the number of islet cell-tight junctions (2), in the islet cell plasma membrane Ca2+-ATPase activity (3) and in the islet intracellular calcium distribution within B cells (4) in response to the glucose stimulus. We have also shown evidences on the existence of calcineurin in rat islets (unpublished data). All these data have been obtained from normal animals, therefore, we assumed that their study in a diabetic animal could provide some clues on the early detect of the B cell function.
KeywordsIslet Cell Pancreatic Islet Serum Glucose Level Endocrine Pancreas Peripheral Nerve Fiber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Semino, M.C., Gagliardino, E.E.P.de, and Gagliardino, J.J., 1987, Islet-cells tight junctions:changes in its number induced by glucose. Acta I Physiol Pharmacol Latinoam 37: 533–539.Google Scholar
- 3.Gronda, C.M., Rossi, J.P.F.C., and Gagliardino, J.J., Effect of I different insulin secretqgogues and blocking agents on islet cell Ca2+-ATPase activity. Biochim Biophys Acta (accepted in press).Google Scholar
- 5.Tarres, M.C., Martinez, S.M., Liborio, M.M., and Rabasa, S.L., 1981, Diabetes mellitus en una linea endocriada de ratas. Mendeliana 5: 39–48.Google Scholar
- 7.Martinez, S.M., Tarres, M.C, Liborio, M.M., de Robledo, H.A., Picena, J.C., and Rabasa, S.L, 1984, Modelo murino de la diabetes clinicamente benigna de los jovenes (MODY), Medicina. 44: 145–152.Google Scholar
- 8.Sternberger, L.A., Hardy, P.H., Cuculis, J.J., and Meyer, H.S., 1970, The unlabeled antibody enzyme method of immunochemistry. Preparation and properties of soluble antigen-antibody complex (horseradish peroxidase- antihorseradish peroxidase) and its use in identification of spirochetes. J Histochem Gytochem. 18: 315–333.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Drei, L., Baetens, D., Rufener, C., Amherdt, M., Ravazzola, M., Studer, P., Malaisse-Lagae, F., and Unger, R.H., 1976, Hypertrophy and Hyperplasia of somatostatin-containing D-cells in diabetes. Proc Nat Acad Sci (USA) 73: 1388–1342.Google Scholar