Hereditary Diabetes in the KK Mouse: An Overview
Diabetes and its complications cause increased morbidity and mortality in man. Despite numerous studies, the pathogenesis of these complications is poorly understood. This is partly due to the lack of large and well-controlled human studies. To this end, researchers have been forced to develop animal models of human diabetes. In such animals, the maintenance of controlled environmental conditions and selective breeding over several generations with a large number of offspring can easily be accomplished. This allows for extensive investigation in a relatively short period of time.
KeywordsSwiss Albino Mouse Oral Glucose Load Mural Cell Chemical Diabetes Fasting Blood Sugar Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kondo, K., Nozawa, K., Tomita, T., and Ezaki, K., 1957, Inbred strains resulting from Japanese mice. Bull Exp Anim 6: 107–12.Google Scholar
- 2.Nakamura, M., 1962, A diabetic strain of the mouse. Proc Jap Acad 38: 348–52.Google Scholar
- 4.Iwatsuka, H., Matsuo, T., Shino, A., and Suzuoki, Z., 1970, Metabolic disturbance of KK mice in chemical diabetes. J Takeda Res Lab 29: 685–692.Google Scholar
- 5.Reddi, A.S., Oppermann, W., Velasco, C.A., Strugatz, L.H. and Camerini-Davalos, R.A., 1980, Diabetes mellitus in the KK mouse: Similarities and differences between genetic and other types of diabetes. In Secondary Diabetes: The spectrum of the diabetic syndromes, Podolsky, S. and Viswanathan, M., Eds., New York, Raven Press, 455–469.Google Scholar
- 6.Nakamura, M., and Yamada, K., 1963, A further study of the diabetic (KK) strain of the mouse. Proc Jap Acad 39: 489–493.Google Scholar
- 8.Morii, F., Hattori, M., Miyazaki, E., Fukuchi, S., and Tsukahara, I., 1974, Histological studies on congenitally diabetic KK mice., 1974, Folea Ophthalmol Jap 25: 372–389.Google Scholar
- 9.Miyazaki, E., Morii, F., and Yamashita, H., 1975, Histological studies on congenitally diabetic KK mice. Report 2. Electron microscope study findings concerning the optic nerve. J Jap Diab Soc 18: 101–104.Google Scholar
- 10.Reddi, A.S., Oppermann, W., Velasco, C.A., Strugatz, L.H., and Camerini-Davalos, R.A., 1975, Early genetic diabetes in the KK mouse. In Early Diabetes in Early Life, Camerini-Davalos, R.A. and Cole, H.S., Eds., New York, Academic Press: 413–425.Google Scholar