The in Vivo Visualization of Insulitis a New Marker of Prediabetes
Type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes is a disease characterized by a prodromal period with beta-cell destruction mediated by mononuclear white blood cells and their products. Several markers have been identifyed to characterize the prodromal phase of the disease. During this phase alterations involving lymphocyte activation are present; an increased percentage of circulating activated lymphocytes is detectable and these cells show a decreased interlukin (IL2) production (1) together with an increased release of IL2 receptors (IL2R) which can be detected in serum (2).
KeywordsProdromal Phase Gamma Camera Image Pancreatic Region Soluble IL2R Prodromal Period
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Galluzzo, A., Caruso, C., Giordano, C., Modica, M.A., Marco, A., and Zambito, P.M., 1987, High release of soluble interleukin-2 receptors by peripheral mononuclear cells in Type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes. Diabetologia 30: 521A.Google Scholar
- 4.Miyazaki, A., Hanafusa, T., Yamada, K., Miyagawa, J., Fujinokurihara, H., Nakajima, H., Nonaka, K., and Tarui, S., 1985, Predominance of the, lymphocytes in pancreatic islets and spleen of prediabetic non-obese diabetic (NOD) mice: a longitudinal study. Clin Exp Immunol 60: 622–30.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Foulis, A.K., Liddle, C.N., Farquharson, M.A., Richmond, J.A., and Weir, R.S., 1986, The histopathology of the pancreas of type 1 (insulindependent) diabetes mellitus: a 25 year review of deaths in patients under twenty years of age in United Kingdom. Diabetologia 29: 267–74.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Signore, A., Parman, A., Pozzilli, P., Andreani, D., and Beverley, P.C.L.: Detection of activated lymphocytes in endocrine pancreas of BB/W rats by injection of 123I-interleukin-2: an early sign of type 1 diabetes. Lancet 2: 537–40.Google Scholar
- 7.Signore, A., Cooke, A., Pozzilli, P., Butcher, G., Simpson, E., and Beverley, P.C.L., 1986, Class-II and IL2 receptor positive cells in the pancreas of NOD mice. Diabetologia 30: 902–5.Google Scholar