Stochastic Aspects of Neutron Multiplication in Fusion Blanket Materials and Spallation Targets
A Stochastic description of neutron multiplication in fusion blanket materials and spallation targets is presented. An asymptotic solution of the multigroup Kolmogorov equation for a point model is obtained. The solution gives the multiplicity spectrum (MS) of leakage neutrons and its factorial moments as well as the neutron multiplicity equation of Kumar and Srinivasan. The MS (or its factorial moments) are measurable and can yield valuable information regarding the individual nuclear processes such as (n, 2n) reactions. The paper also discusses the use of stochastic transport theory for calculation of the MS. Results of calculations using the two methods for Be-9, a promising candidate for fusion blankets are discussed.
KeywordsPoint Model Neutron Multiplication Kolmogorov Equation Factorial Moment Secondary Neutron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Williams M. M. R., Random Processes in Nuclear Reactors, Pergammon Press (1974)Google Scholar
- 2.Bondar L., Proc. Int. Mtg. Monitoring Pu Contaminated Wastes, Ispra, Italy 25–28 Sept(1979)Google Scholar
- 3.Bondar L., Proc. Int. Conf. Nucl. Safeguards, Vienna,~ IAEA-SM-260/54 p137(1980)Google Scholar
- 4.Bohnel K. Nucl. Sic Engng. 90, 75(1985)Google Scholar
- 6.Kumar A. and Srinivasan M.(1984), Neutron Multiplicity Equation and its Application for (n, 2n) Multiplication Measurements by Statistical Correlation Technique; Submitted for publication to Nucl.Sci.Eng.Google Scholar
- 9.Bell G.I. Stochastic Neutron Transport Theory Nucl. Sci. Engng. 21,390 (1965)Google Scholar
- 10.Garg S. B. and Sinha A., BARC-35 A 35 Group Cross-Section Library With P3 Anisotropic Scattering Matrices and Resonance Self-Shielding Factors, Report BARC-1222(1984)Google Scholar
- 11.Huanquiao Z. et al, The Average Number of Prompt Neutrons and the Distributions of Prompt Neutron Emission Number for Spontaneous Fission of Plutonium-240 Curium-242 and Curium-244, Nucl.Sci. and Engg.86,315(1984Google Scholar