Influence of Short Chain Phospholipid Spacers on the Properties of Diacetylenic Phosphatidylcholine Bilayers
Diacetylenes in phospholipid bilayers have been the subject of extensive studies in our laboratory, not only because of the highly conjugated polymers they form, but also because of their ability to transform bilayers into interesting microstructures. Consequent to our synthesis and characterization of several isomeric diacetylenic phospholipids, we have found that the polymerization in diacetylenic bilayers is not complete. In order to achieve participation of all diacetylenic lipid monomer in the polymerization process, diacetylenic phospholipid was mixed with a spacer’ lipid, which contained similar number of methylenes as were between the ester linkage and the diacetylene of the polymerizable lipid. Depending upon the composition of the mixtures different morphologies, ranging from tubules to liposomes, have been observed. Polymerization efficiency has been found to be dependent on the composition of the two lipids and in all cases the polymerization was more rapid and efficient than the pure diacetylenic system.
KeywordsNonanoic Acid Control Release System Mixed Lipid Undecylenic Acid Undecanoic Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1a.S. L. Regen, Polymer News, 10, 68 (1984);Google Scholar
- 2a.A. W. Dalziel, J. Georger, R. R. Price, A. Singh & P. Yager in: S. C. Goheen, Ed., “Membrane Proteins”, Bio-Rad Laboratories, Pub-, 1986, p. 643.Google Scholar
- 9.L. Gros, H. Ringsdorf & H. Schupp, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 20, 305 (1982).Google Scholar
- 14.J. M. Schnur & A. Singh, Polym. Prepr., 26, 186 (1985);Google Scholar
- 14a.A. Singh & J. M. Schnur, Polym. Prepr., 26, 184 (1985);Google Scholar
- 14b.A. Singh, B. P. Singh, B. P. Gaber, R. Price, T. H. Burke, B. Herendeen, P. E. Schoen, J. M. Schnur & P. Yager, (1987) to appear in “Surfactants in Solution”, K.L. Mittal, Ed.Google Scholar
- 15.A. Singh, R. Price, P. E. Schoen, P. Yager & J. M. Schnur, Polymer Prep., 27, 393 (1986).Google Scholar
- 17.H. J. Cantow, Ed., Advances in Polymer Science, Volume 63, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1984.Google Scholar
- 18.A. Singh & J. P. Sheridan, unpublished data.Google Scholar
- 20.T. G. Burke, R. R. Price, J. P. Sheridan, A. S. Rudolph, A. W. Dalziel, A. Singh & P. E. Schoen, manuscript in preparation.Google Scholar