Selectivity of CF and 5-Fluorouracil: Critical Role of Polyglutamylation
Earlier studies from these laboratories have indicated that in human colon adenocarcinoma xenografts, the mechanism of intrinsic resistance to 5-fluoropyrimidines may be a consequence of low levels of CH2-H4PteGlu in tumor cells. Thus, after administration of FUra or FdUrd, the inhibitory complex between FdUMP, CH2-H4PteGlu and TS may form relatively slowly, or may dissociate quite rapidly (1,2). Due to the influence of CH2-H4PteGlu on the stability of the ternary complex, leucovorin, a stable form of reduced folate, has been used in cultured cells (3) and clinically (4,5) to attempt to increase the pool of CH2-H4PteGlu, the stability of the ternary complex, and the inhibition of TS. However, preclinical studies that document the fate of leucovorin in neoplastic tissues are currently lacking.
KeywordsBolus Injection Ternary Complex Excess Formaldehyde Combine Pool Polyglutamate Form
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.E. Newman, J. Doroshow, M. Bertrand, P. Burgeson, D. Villacorte, D. Blayney, D. Goldberg, B. Carr, L. Leong, K. Margolin, G. Cecchi, and R. Staples, Pharmacokinetics of high-dose folinic acid (dl-CF) administered by continuous intravenous (iv) infusion, Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. 26: 158 (1985).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Machover, E. Goldschmidt, P. Chollet, G. Metzger, J. Zittoun, J. Marquet, J.-M. Vandenbulcke, J.-L. Misset, L. Schwarzenberg, J. B. Fourtillan, H. Gaget, and G. Mathé, Treatment of advanced colorectal and gastric adenocarcinomas with 5-fluorouracil and high-dose folinic acid, J. Clin. Oncol. 4: 685 (1986).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.J. A. Houghton, K. D. Weiss, L. G. Williams, P. M. Torrance, and P. J. Houghton, Relationship between 5-fluoro-2’-deoxyuridylate, 2’-deoxyuridylate, and thymidylate synthase activity subsequent to 5-fluorouracil administration, in xenografts of human colon adenocarcinomas, Biochem. Pharmacol. 35: 1351 (1986).Google Scholar
- 12.J. A. Houghton, L. G. Williams, S. Radparvar, and P. J. Houghton, Characterization of the pools of 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolates and tetrahydrofolates in xenografts of human colon adenocarcinoma, Cancer Res., in press (1988).Google Scholar
- 15.I. W. Wainer, and R. M. Stiffin, Direct resolution of the stereoisomers of leucovorin and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate using a bovine serum albumin high-performance liquid chromatographic chiral stationary phase coupled to an achiral phenyl column, J. Chromatogr. 424: 158 (1988).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.J. M. Gilbert, Adjuvant chemotherapy of large bowel cancer, Cancer Treat. Rev. 9: 195 (1982).Google Scholar
- 18.M.-B. Yin, S. F. Zakrzewski, and M. T. Hakala, Relationship of cellular folate cofactor pools to the activity of 5-fluorouracil, Mol. Pharmacol. 32: 190 (1983).Google Scholar