Role of Dosf, Schedule and Route of Administration of 5-Formyltetra-Hydrofolate: Preclinical and Clinical Investigations
During the last 30 years, 5-fluorouracil (FUra)* has been the drug of choice for treatment of patients with adenocarcinoma of the colon. This agent is also active against breast carcinoma and has significant activity in carcinoma of the head and neck. In all cases, but especially in colon carcinoma, the response rate is low and the duration of response is relatively short, on the order of 6 to 9 months.
KeywordsAntitumor Activity Pyrimidine Nucleoside Concentration Time Curve Tinuous Infusion Uridine Monophosphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D.S. Martin, R.L. Stolfi, R.C. Sawyer, and C.W. Young. The application of biochemical modulation with a therapeutically inactive modulating agent in clinical trials of cancer chemotherapy. Cancer Treat. Rep., 69: 421–423 (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.D.S. Martin, R.L. Stolfi, and S. Spiegelman, Striking augmentation of the in vivo anticancer activity of 5-fluorouracil by combination with pyrimidine nucleosides: an RNA effect, Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. 19: 221 (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Nayak, D.S. Martin, R.L. Stolfi, J. Furth, and S. Spiegelman. Pyrimidine nucleosides enhance the anticancer activity of 5-fluorouracil and augment its incorporation into nuclear RNA, Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. 19: 1963 (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.R.I. Glazer and K.D. Hartman. The effect of 5-fluorouracil on the synthesis and methylation of low molelcular weight nuclear RNA in L1210 cells, Mol. Pharmacol., 17: 245–249 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.P.V. Danenberg. The role of reduced folates in the enhanced binding of FdUMP to dTMP synthetase. In: The Current Status of 5-Fluorouracil Leucovorin Calcium Combination, Bruckner, H.W. and Rustum, Y.M. eds., p. 5–11, Park Row Publishers, New York (1984).Google Scholar
- 14.J.A. Houghton and P.J. Houghton. Basis for the interaction of 5-Fluorouracil and leucovorin in colon adenocarcinoma. In: The Current Status of 5-Fluorouracil-Leucovorin Calcium Combination, Bruckner, H.W. and Rustum, Y.M., eds., p. 23–32, Park Row Publishers, New York (1984).Google Scholar
- 15.R.M. Evans, J.D. Laskin and M.T. Hakala. Effect of excess folates and deoxyinosine on the activity and site of action of 5-fluorouracil. Cancer Pes., 41: 3288–3295 (1981).Google Scholar
- 17.F. Trave, Y.M. Rustum, N. Petrelli, L. Herrera, A. Mittelman, C. Frank and P.J. Creaven, Plasmic tumor tissue pharmacology of high dose intravenous 5-formyltetrahydrofolate in combination with 5-fluorouracil in patients with advanced colorectal carcinoma, J. Clinical Oncology 6: 1184 (1988).Google Scholar
- 19.L. Danhauser and Y.M. Rustum, A method for continuous drug infusion in unrestarained rats: Its application in the evaluation of the toxicity of 5-fluorouracil/thymidine combination, J. Lab. Clin. Med. 92: 1047 (1979).Google Scholar