Progress Report on Studies of FAM-CF for Gastric Cancer and Intraperitoneal Administration of FUra-CF Followed by Cisplatin (DDP)
Randomized controlled trials have demonstrated that the response rate to 5-fluorouracil (FUra) in combination with leucovorin (CF) is approximately two-fold higher than the response rate to single agent FUra in patients with colorectal carcinoma (1–5). Since FUra alone has activity in other gastrointestinal cancers, our work has been directed toward evaluating the role of this combination for the treatment of other gastrointestinal cancers, using both the intravenous (IV) and intraperitoneal (IP) routes.
KeywordsGastric Cancer Folinic Acid Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy Measurable Disease Malignant Ascites
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Doroshow JH, Bertrand M, Multhauf P, et al: Prospective Randomized Trial of 5-FU versus 5-FU and High-Dose Folinic Acid (HDFA) for Treatment of Advanced Colorectal Cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 6: 96, 1987Google Scholar
- 4.Petrelli N, Stablein D, Bruckner H, et al: Phase III Evaluation of 5-Fluorouracil (5-FU) vs 5-FU and High-Dose Leucovorin (HDCF) vs 5-FU and Low-Dose Leucovorin (LDCF) in Patients with Metastatic Colorectal Adenocarcinoma. A Report of the Gastrointestinal Tumor Study Group. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol, In Press, 1988Google Scholar
- 5.O’Connell MJ and Wieand HS: A Controlled Clinical Trial Including Folinic Acid at Two Distinct Dose Levels in Combination with 5-Fluorouracil (5FU) for the Treatment of Advanced Colorectal Cancer: Experience of the Mayo Clinic and North Central Cancer Treatment Group, Proceedings of the International Symposium on “The Expanding Role of Folates and Fluoropyrimidines in Cancer Chemotherapy”. Buffalo, NY, April 1988Google Scholar
- MacDonald JS, Schein PS, Wooley PV: 5-Fluorouracil, Doxorubicin and Mitomycin (FAM) Combination Chemotherapy for Advanced Gastric Cancer. Ann Intern Med 93: 533–536, 1980Google Scholar
- 13.Trave F, Rustum YM, Goranson J: Synergistic Antitumor Activity of Cisplatin (DDP) and 5-Fluorouracil in Mice Bearing Leukemia L1210 Cells. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 26: 322, 1985Google Scholar
- 14.Rustum YM, Trave F: Personal CommunicationGoogle Scholar
- 15.Dunnick, NR, Jones RB, Doppman JL, et al: Intraperitoneal Contrast Infusion for Assessment of Intraperitoneal Fluid Dynamics. Am J Rad 133: 221–223, 1979Google Scholar
- 16.Douglass, HO Jr, Lavin PT, Goudsmit A, et al: An Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Evaluation of Combinations of Methyl-CCNU, Mitomycin C, Adriamycin, and 5-Fluorouracil in Advanced Measurable Gastric Cancer (EST 2277). J Clin Onc 2: 1372–1381, 1984Google Scholar