Mechanisms for Cisplatin-FUra Synergism and Cisplatin Resistance in Human Ovarian Carcinoma Cells both in vitro and in vivo
Cisplatin and FUra act synergisticly in human carcinomas. An increase in the availability of reduced folates necessary for tight binding of FdUMP to thymidylate synthase (TS) contributes to the enhanced cytotoxicity of this drug combination. The human ovarian A2780 cell line made three-fold resistant to cisplatin has been shown to have a three-fold elevation of m-RNA for dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) and TS. However, this increase did not result from an amplification of the genes for these two enzymes. In contrast, ovarian carcinoma cells from patients who failed treatment with cisplatin and FUra have been shown to have both enhanced gene expression and increased gene copy number for DHFR and TS.
KeywordsA2780 Cell Human Colon Carcinoma Cell Human Ovarian Carcinoma Cell Ovarian Carcinoma Patient Increase Gene Copy Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. F. Ozols and R. C. Young, Chemotherapy of ovarian cancer, Sem. in Oncol. 11:257 (1984).Google Scholar
- 3.F. M. Schabel, H. E. Skipper, M. W. Trader, W. R. Laster, D. P. Griswold, and T. H. Corbett, Establishment of cross-resistance profiles for new agents, Cancer Treat. Rea. 67: 905 (1983).Google Scholar
- 11.J. Chen and K. J. Scanlon, Molecular and biochemical properties of cisplatin-resistant HCT8 human colon carcinoma cells, Amer. Assoc. Cancer Res. 29: 1431 (1988).Google Scholar
- 12.A. Eva, K. C. Robbins, P. R. Andersen, A. Srinivasan, S. R. Tronick, E. P. Reddy, N. W. Ellmore, A. T. Galen, J. A. Lantenberger, T. S. Papas, E. H. Westin, F. Wong-Stall, R. C. Gallo, and S. A. Aaronson, Cellular genes analogous to retroviral one genes are transcribed in human tumour cells, Nature, Lond. 295: 116 (1982).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.M. Kashani-Sabet, J. J. Rossi, Y. Lu, J. Chen, H. Miyachi, J. x. Ma, D.Blaney, L. Leong, and K. J. Scanlon, Early detection of cisplatin resistance in fresh human carcinoma cells by in vitro enzymatic amplification assay, Amer. Assoc. Cancer Res. 29: 1159 (1988).Google Scholar
- 17.R. B. Gross and K. J. Scanlon, Membrane transport properties of L1210 cells resistant to cisplatin, Chemoterapia 5: 37 (1986).Google Scholar