Accurate Dynamical Theory for RHEED Rocking-Curve Intensity Spectra
Reflection high-energy electron-diffraction has been widely used to study surface morphology and crystal growth. Because the technique works well in-situ, it is the technique of choice for studying surface structures that are formed at different temperatures during epitaxial crystal growth. While in the past there have been many RHEED studies, quantitative structural analysis at the atomic level has not been achieved due to the lack of accurate theoretical calculations of RHEED intensity. A specularly reflected RHEED electron at 20,0000 eV in an angular range 0–8° from the surface undergoes the same net momentum transfer as that of a normally incident LEED electron. Thus, it is easy to realize that the RHEED technique has the potential to become as sensitive and versatile a structural tool as LEED spectroscopy . Among difficulties to overcome is the formulation of an accurate and practical method for calculating RHEED rocking-curve intensity spectra. In this paper, we shall discuss key features of such a method and present intensity results on Ag(001) and GaAs(110).
KeywordsEvanescent Wave Mirror Plane Surface Slab Bravais Lattice Symmetrize Basis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. A. Van Hove and S. Y. Tong, “Surface Crystallography by LEED”, Springer, Heidelberg (1977).Google Scholar
- 2.J. B. Pendry, “Low-Energy Electron-Diffraction”, Academic Press, London (1974).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Y. Tong, “Progress in Surface Science”, S. G. Davisson, ed., 7:1 (1975).Google Scholar
- 7.N. Masud, C. G. Kinniburgh and D. J. Titterington, “Determination of Surface Structure by LEED”, P. M. Marcus and F. Jona, eds., Plenum, NY (1984).Google Scholar
- 8.P. A. Doyle and P. S. Turner, Acta Cryst., A24:390 (1968).Google Scholar
- 12.D. Secrest, “Atom-Molecule Collision Theory”, R. B. Bernstein, ed., Plenum Press, NY (1979).Google Scholar
- 16.T. C. Zhao, H. C. Poon and S. Y. Tong, Phys. Rev., to appear.Google Scholar
- 18.S. Y. Tong, T. C. Zhao, H. C. Poon, K. D. Jamison, N. Zhou and P. I. Cohen, Physics Letters A, in print (1988).Google Scholar
- 19.K. D. Jamison, D. N. Zhou, P. I. Cohen, T. C. Zhao and S. Y. Tong, J. Vac. Science & Technol., in print (1988).Google Scholar
- 20.T. C. Zhao and S. Y. Tong, Ultramicroscopy, in print (1988).Google Scholar