Surface Convergent-Beam Diffraction for Characterization and Symmetry Determination
This paper is concerned with the diffraction of electrons of high energy at near grazing incidence onto the surface of a crystalline specimen. This is the situation normally known as RHEED (reflection high energy electron diffration). However, it particularly addresses the case when the illumination is focused to a small spot on the specimen, with a convergence angle that is comparable with the Bragg angle. It is not normally possible to achieve this in a traditional RHEED apparatus fitted, say, to a UHV epitaxy system and the experiments referred to here will normally be performed in a transmission electron microscope.
KeywordsZone Axis Reflection High Energy Electron Diffraction Transmission Electron Diffraction Ewald Sphere Laue Zone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eades, J. A., Shannon, M. D., and Buxton, B. F., 1983, Crystal symmetry from electron diffration, Scanning Electron Microscopy III: 1051–1060.Google Scholar
- International Tables for X-ray Crystallography, Vol. 1. 1969. International Union of Crystallography, Kynoch press, Birmingham.Google Scholar
- Mochel, M. E., Masel, R. I., and Mochel, J. M., 1986, A microdiffraction study of Os10C(CO)24 2 in the scanning transmission electron microscope, Proceedings EMSA 696–697.Google Scholar
- Shannon, M. D., Eades, J. A., and Buxton, B. F., 1986, The symmetry of zone-axis patterns in reflection high-energy electron diffraction, EMAG ‘85 10P Conference Series No. 78:53–54.Google Scholar
- Steeds, J. A., 1979, Convergent-beam electron diffraction in: “Introduction to Analytical Electron Microscopy, “J. J. Hren, J. I. Goldstein and D. C. Joy, eds., Plenum, New York.Google Scholar
- Tanka, M. and Terauchi, M., 1985, “Convergent-Beam Electron Diffraction, “JE0L, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- 1.M. Tanaka, H. Takayoshi, M. Terauchi, Y. Rondo, K. Ueno, and Y. Harada, Higher-order Laue-zone patterns obtained by a hollow-cone electron beam, J.Electron Microsc., 33:195–202.Google Scholar