The Hepatic Receptor for Asialoglycoproteins: Search for a Function
During the last half decade increased interest has been directed towards an understanding of the mechanism whereby cell surface receptor expression is modulated. A number of receptors have become available for such examination, including the glucocorticoid receptor of hepatoma cells (Okret et al, 1986), the transferrin receptor in K562 cells (Rouault et al, 1985; Mattia et al, 1984), the EGF receptor in KB cells (Fearn and King, 1985), as well as the LDL receptor in rat hepatocytes (Ma et al, 1986; Larkin et al, 1985). In short, the expression of cell surface receptors has been shown to reflect regulatory mechanisms enabling the cell to adapt itself to changing metabolic priorities.
KeywordsHepatitis Manifold Electrophoresis Half Life Glucocorticoid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Harford J., and Ashwell, G., 1985, Chemical and physical properties of the hepatic receptor for asialoglycoproteins, in: “Endocytosis,” I. Pastan and M. C. Willingham, eds., pp. 69–83, Plenum Publishing Co., New York.Google Scholar
- Howard, D. J., Stockert, R. J., and Morell, A. G., 1982, Asialoglycoprotein receptors in hepatic regeneration, J.Biol.Chem. 275:2856.Google Scholar
- Huber, B. E., Glowinski, I. B., and Thorgeirsson, S. S., 1986, Transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulation of the asialoglycoprotein receptor in normal and neoplastic rat liver, J.Biol.Chem. 261:1 2400.Google Scholar
- Van Lenton, L. and Ashwell, G., 1971, Studies on the chemical and enzymatic modification of glycoproteins. A general method for the titration of sialic acid-containing glycoproteins, J.Biol.Chem. 246:1889.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, A. L., and Rup, D., 1983, Biosynthesis of the human asialoglycoprotein receptor, J.Biol.Chem., 258:1 1249.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, A. L., Bolognesi, A., and Fridovich, S. E., 1984, Recycling of the asialoglycoprotein receptor and the effect of lysosomtropic amines in hepatoma cells, J.Biol.Chem., 98:732.Google Scholar
- Steer, C. J., Weiss, P., Huber, B. E., Wirth, P. J., Thorgeirsson, S. S., and Ashwell, G., Ligand induced modulation of the hepatic receptor for asialoglycoproteins in the human hepatoblastoma cell line, Hep G2, J.Biol.Chem., in press.Google Scholar