Evaluation of C-SIS mRNA Expression by Human Megakaryocytic Cells in Normals and Patients with Myeloproliferative Disorders
Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML), polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia, primary myelofibrosis (PMF) and acute myelofibrosis (acute megakaryoblastic leukemia) form a group of hematological diseases, called myeloproliferative disorders, with varying patterns of lineage involvement in each disorder. There is laboratory and clinical evidence that bone marrow fibrosis in these diseases is promoted, at least in part, by platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) (for review s. 1,2). PDGF displays growth promoting activity for stroma cells (for review 8.3–5) an¿ possibly, by indirect action for hemopoietic progenitor cells6–8. Its synthesis has been shown by a number of cells, including megakaryocytes, and the B-chain of PDGF is encoded by the c-sis protooncogene3–5.
KeywordsChronic Myelogenous Leukemia Polycythemia Vera Essential Thrombocythemia Myeloproliferative Disorder Bone Marrow Fibrosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Deuel, T.F., B.D. Tong, and J.S. Huang. 1985. Platelet derived growth factor: Structure, function, and roles in normal and transformed cells. In: Current topics in cellular regulation, Vol. 26: 51.Google Scholar
- 11.Castro-Malaspena, H., E.M. Rabellino, A. Yen, R.L. Nachman, and M.A.S. Moore. 1981. Human megakaryocyte stimulation of proliferation of bone marrow fibroblasts. Blood. 57: 781.Google Scholar
- 13.Breton-Gorius, J., W. Vainchenker, A.T. Nurden, S. Levy-Tolendano, and J.P. Caen. 1981. Defective alpha-granule production in megakaryocytes from gray-platelet syndrome. Ultrastructural studies of bone marrow cells and megakaryocytes growing in culture from Blood precursors. Am. J. Pathol. 102: 10.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Lopez, A.R., and A. Deisseroth. 1986. Is secretion of PDGF CML cells accompanied by changes in expression of the transforming growth factor beta gene? Blood. Suppl 1, 170 a.Google Scholar
- 16.Colamonici, O.R., J.B. Trepel, C.A. Vidal, and L.M. Necfcers. 1986. Phorbol ester induces c-sis gene transcription in stem cell line K-562. Mol. and Cell. Biol. 6: 1847.Google Scholar
- 20.Kanz, L., G. Straub, K.J. Bross, and A.A. Fauser. 1982. Identification of human megakaryocytes derived from pure megakaryocytic colonies (CFU-M), megakaryocytic-erythroid colonies (CFU-M/E), and mixed hemopoietic colonies (CFU-GEMM) by antibodies against platelet associated antigens. Blut. 45: 267.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Kanz, L., R. Mielke, A.A. Fauser, and G.W. Löhr. 1988. Detection of messenge RNAs within single hemopoietic cells by in situ hybridization on small slide areas. Exp. Hematol. in press.Google Scholar
- 27.Haase, A., M. Brahic, L. Stowring, and H. Blum. 1984. Detection of viral nucleic acids by in situ hybridization. Methods in Virology, Vol 7: 189.Google Scholar
- 30.Burstein, S.A., T.W. Malpass, E. Yee, M. Kadin, M. Brigden, J.W. Adamson, and L.A. Harker. 1984. Platelet factor-4 excretion in myeloproliferative disease: implications for the aetiology of myelofibrosis. Br. J. Haematol. 57: 383.Google Scholar