Potential of Radiolabeled Antiplatelet Antibodies in the Detection of Vascular Thrombi
Platelets play a major role in the pathogenesis of hemostasis and thrombosis. During normal hemostasis, platelets adhere to the injured vascular endothelium. The accretion is promoted by various factors such as collagen, released from the underlying tissues, adenosinediphosphate (ADP), thrombin derived from activation of coagulation and probably other unidentified amines. The net result is formation of a thrombus. Although the process may be prevented by some physiologic mechanism that is far from clear at the present time, the thrombus thus formed can be life threatening. This is due to the fact that the thrombus may prevent blood flow to the adjoining tissue and lead to infarction. Detection of thrombus is therefore an important need for a vigorous anticoagulant therapy in the management of these patients.
KeywordsHuman Platelet Mixed Anhydride Antiplatelet Antibody Bifunctional Chelate Vascular Thrombus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.M. L. Thakur, L. Wash, H. L. Malech, et al., Indium-111 labeled human platelets: Improved method, efficacy and evaluation, J. Nucl. Med. 22:381–385 (1982).Google Scholar
- 6.M. L. Thakur and S. L. McKenney, Indium-111-mercaptopyridine N-oxide-labeled human leukocytes and platelets: Mechanism of labeling and intracellular location of In-111 and mercaptopyridine N-oxide, J. Nucl. Med. 107:141–147 (1986).Google Scholar
- 14.M. L. Thakur, P. Thiagarajan, F. White III, et al., Monoclonal antibodies for specific cell labeling: considerations, preparations and preliminary evaluation, Nucl. Med. and Biol. 14:51–58 (1987).Google Scholar
- 15.L. Sheldon, F. White III and M. L. Thakur, Evaluation of pretreatment agents that may minimize protein loss on Centricon Device membrane (in preparation).Google Scholar
- 16.C. H. Paik, R. R. Murphy, W. C. Eckelman et al., Optimization of DTPA mixed anhydride reaction with antibodies at low concentration, J. Nucl. Med. 23:932–936 (1983).Google Scholar
- 20.B. S. Coller, J. D. Foils, L. E. Scudder et al., Antithrombotic effect of monoclonal antibody to the platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptors in experimental animal model, Blood 783–786 (1986).Google Scholar
- 23.J. P. Lavender and M. Peters, Private communication.Google Scholar