Potential Labeling of Monoclonal Antibodies with Positron Emitters
The use of gamma-emitting radiolabeled antibodies as diagnostic imaging agents had produced promising results. Positron emission tomography has advantages in areas of resolution, quantification, and sensitivity over conventional γ-imaging. There are two approaches to labeling antibodies with positron-emitting nuclides. In one approach, a long-lived radionuclide such as zirconium-89 (half-life 78 hr) has been suggested as a label for monoclonal antibodies (1). Bromine-76 (2), which has been used to label ligands for the dopamine receptor, could also be used and techniques developed for labeling proteins (3–5) with bromine-77 adapted to this application. Table 1 gives some relevant nuclear data concerning these and other potentially useful positron-emitting radionuclides. Although there are other candidate positron-emitting radionuclides, the ones listed in Table 1 can be used using currently available labeling technology.
KeywordsProgressive Supranuclear Palsy Label Antibody Parathyroid Tissue Phenacyl Bromide Tetrabutylammonium Hydroxide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. F. Eary, J. M. Link, R. Kishore, M. W. Johnson, C. C. Badger, K. Y. Richter, K. A. Krohn, and W. B. Nelp, Production of positron emitting Zr-89 for antibody imaging by PET, J. Nucl. Med. 27:983 (1986).Google Scholar
- 3.L. C. Knight, K. A. Krohn, M. J. Welch, B. Spomer, L. P. Hager, Br-77: A new protein label, in: “Radiopharmaceuticals,” G. Subramanian, B. A. Rhodes, J. F. Cooper, V. J. Sodd, eds., Soc. Nucl. Med., New York, p. 149 (1975).Google Scholar
- 7.F. L. Otsuka, J. B. Fleischman, and M. J. Welch, Comparative Studies using I-125- and In-111-labeled monoclonal antibodies, Nucl. Med. Biol. 13:325 (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.C. M. Muller-Platz, G. Kloster, G. Legier, and G. Stocklin, F-18-fluoroacetate: An agent for introducing no-carrier-added fluorine-18 into urokinase without loss of biological activity, J. Labeled Compds. Radiopharm. 19:1645–1646 (1982).Google Scholar
- 12.M. R. Kilbourn, C. S. Dence, and M. J. Welch, Reagents for fluorine-18 labeling of proteins, Sixth International Symposium on Radiopharmaceutical Chemistry, Boston, 1986, Paper 13: J. Labeled Compds. Radiopharm. (in press).Google Scholar