Lymphocyte Emigration from the Ovine Thymus: Characterization of Lymphatic Emigrants and Venous Emigrants
Although it has been generally agreed that mammalian thymus produces lymphocytes of the T lineage and releases them as T cells into the general circulation, there have been differences in opinion expressed concerning the rate of thymocyte emigration compared to that of production and also concerning the maturity of emigrant cells. Cell traffic studies by the use of an intrathymic injection technique by Scollay and his associates indicated that, in the mouse thymus, only a small fraction of the cells produced in the thymus emigrate and that those emigrant cells are functionally mature (Scollay, Chen and Shortman, 1984). In contrast, experiments in other animal species often yielded results which indicated a high rate of thymocyte emigration with the emigrants being at least phenotypi-cally immature (Williams et al., 1971).
KeywordsMouse Thymus Indirect Immunofluorescence Technique Thymic Vein Cervical Thymus Emigrant Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Miyasaka, M. and Trnka, Z., 1985, Sheep as an experimental model for immunology: Immunological techniques in vitro and in vivo, in: Immunological Methods, Vol. III, Lefkovits, I. and Pernis, B. eds. p.403, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Miyasaka, M. et al., 1987, Differentiation antigens in lymphohemopoietic system of the sheep, in: Differentiation Antigens in Lymphohemo-poietic Tissues, Miyasaka, M. and Trnka, Z. eds., Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Scollay, R. and Shortman, K., 1985, Cell traffic in the adult thymus, in: Recognition and Regulation in Cell-Mediated Immunity, Watson, J.D. and Marbrook, J., eds. p.3, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Yamaguchi, K. and Miyasaka, M., 1987, The microvasculature of the sheep thymus, In this volume.Google Scholar
- Yamashita, A., Miyasaka, M. and Trnka, Z., 1985, Early post-thymic T cells: Studies on lymphocytes in the lymph coming from the thymus of the sheep, in: Immunology of the Sheep, Morris, B. and Miyasaka, M., eds., p.162, Editiones Roche, Basel.Google Scholar