Ontogeny of Macrophages and Dendritic Cells of the Rat
Earlier studies on the ontogeny of macrophages have demostrated that the immunological immaturity of newborn rodents is at least in part due to the immaturity of the macrophage system (1,2). In particular the capacity of macrophages to present antigen and thus induce an adequate immune respons was impaired in neonates as compared to adults (13,19,21), which appeared to be due to a low number of la-positive antigen presenting cells (15,20). A considerable number of studies are now available on the ontogenetic development of antigen presenting cells in the different lymphoid organs as thymus (10,12), gut and gut-associated tissue(17,25,26), spleen (7,11) and lymph node (24) or in cell suspensions of these organs (14,16). In these studies, the antigen presenting cells, in particular the interdigitating cells (IDC, in tissues) respectively dendritic cells (DC, in cell suspensions) were studied using either their expression of la-antigen or their antigen presenting capacity as characteristic.
KeywordsMesenteric Lymph Node White Pulp Ontogenetic Development Antigen Present Capacity Macrophage Subpopulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Beelen RHJ, Eestermens IL, Döpp EA, Dijkstra CD. Transpl Proc (1987) in pressGoogle Scholar
- 3.Blaese RM in: The phagocyte cell in host resistance, ed. JA Bellanti & DH Dayton, Raven press, New York, (1975).Google Scholar
- 8.Dijkstra CD, Döpp EA, Joling P, Kraal G. Immunol 54: 589 (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.Dijkstra CD, Döpp EA, Vogels IMC, Van Noorden CJF. Scand J Immunol (1987) in press.Google Scholar
- 11.Edwards JA, Durant BM, Jones DB, Evans PR, Smith JL. J Immunol 137: 490 (1985)Google Scholar
- 13.Inaba K, Masuda T, Miyama-Inaba M, Aotsuka Y, Kura F, Komatsu-Bara S, Ido M, Maramatsu S. Immunol 47: 449 (1982).Google Scholar
- 22.Pearse AGE. Histochemistry. Theoretical and applied Vol I, 3rd ed., Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh (1968)Google Scholar
- 25.Van Rees EP, Dijkstra CD, Van der Ende MB, Janse EM, Sminia T. Immunol (1987) in press.Google Scholar
- 26.Wilders MM, Sminia T, Janse EM. Immunol 50: 303 (1983).Google Scholar