Protestant Perspectives on Organ Donation
My assigned task is to examine Protestant perspectives on organ retrieval, particularly organ donation, with some attention to brain death. Because of the diverse traditions and denominations that are labeled Protestant, I cannot hope to be comprehensive. Instead, I will offer some rough generalizations about perspectives that can legitimately be considered Protestant, while raising more general issues as well.
KeywordsOrgan Donation Brain Death Organ Procurement Cadaver Organ Donor Card
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Battin, M. P., 1982, Ethical Issues in Suicide, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Capron, A. M., 1987, Anencephalic donors: Separate the dead from the dying, Hastings Ctr. Rep. 17:5–9. Childress, J. F., 1985, Love and justice in Christian bioethics, in: Theology and Bioethics ( E. E. Shelp, ed.), pp. 225–243, Reidel, Dordrecht, Holland.Google Scholar
- Childress, J. F., 1986, The Implications of Major Western Religious Traditions for Policies Regarding HumanGoogle Scholar
- Biological Materials, Office of Technology Assessment, Contract No. 633–2425.0 (May 13, 1986)Google Scholar
- Fletcher, J. C., Robertson, J. R., and Harrison, M. R., 1986, Primates and anencephalics as sources for pediatric organ transplants, Fetal Ther.1:150–164.Google Scholar
- Gallup Organization, 1985, The U. S. Public’s Attitudes Toward Organ Transplants/Organ Donation, conducted for Golin/Harris Communications, on behalf of the American Council on Transplantation, Jan. 1985.Google Scholar
- Geiser, F., 1985, Sharing body and blood is familiar to Christians, Lutheran April 17: 5–7.Google Scholar
- May, W. F., 1985, Religious justifications for donating body parts, Hastings Center Report 15:38–42. Nelson, J. R., 1984, Protestant Christian perspectives, Report of the Massachusetts Task Force on Organ Transplantation, presented to the Commissioner of Public Health and Secretary of Human Services, Oct. 1984, pp. 97–99.Google Scholar
- Ramsey, P., 1970, The Patient as Person, Yale University Press, New Haven, Connecticut. Task Force on Transplantation, 1986, Organ Transplantation: Issues and Recommendations, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington.Google Scholar
- Veatch, R. M., 1986a, Death, determination of, Dictionary of Christian Ethics, 2nd ed. (J. F. Childress and J. Macquarrie, eds.), pp. 144–146, Westminster Press, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Veatch, R. M., 1986b, The Foundations of Justice, Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar