Legal Aspects of Organ Transfer
Once it is assumed that society generally favors organ transplantation as a treatment for impaired, sick, or dying persons, it is appropriate to ask whether applicable laws help or hinder the process. The following discussion considers several questions: What are the existing legal constraints on organ transfers? What changes in law can or should be made to augment organ transfers? What role should law play in achieving just allocation of organs? No attempt will be made to catalogue laws of various states or to replay debates about “brain death.” Suffice it to say here, all participants in organ transplantation should be knowledgeable about local legal standards concerning consent to organ transfer and “brain death.” For more detailed information, the reviews of Schwartz (1984) and Stuart et al (1981) are recommended.
KeywordsOrgan Donation Brain Death Legal Aspect Transplant Program Presume Consent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Areen, J., King, P. A., Goldberg, S., and Capron, A. M., 1987a, Law Sci. Med.: 157–159.Google Scholar
- Areen, J., King, P. A., Goldberg, S., and Capron, A. M., 1987b, Law Sci Med.: 163–166.Google Scholar
- Colo. Rev. Stat.,1981, sec. 42–2–106(5).Google Scholar
- Hart v. Brown,29 Conn. Sup. 368, 289 A. 2d 386 (1972).Google Scholar
- Lausier v. Pescinski,67 Wis. 2d 4, 226 N.W. 2d 180 (1975).Google Scholar
- National Organ Transplant Act, 1984, Pub. Law 98–507, 98 Stat. 2339.Google Scholar
- Ore. Rev. Stat.,1985, 97.268.Google Scholar
- Overcast, T. D., Evans, R. W., Bowen, L. W., Hoe, M. M., and Livak, C. L., 1984, Problems in the identification of potential organ donors, DAMA 251: 1559–1562.Google Scholar
- Report of the Massachusetts Task Force on Organ Transplantation, 1985, Law Med. Health Care 13: 8–26.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, H. S., 1984, Bioethical and legal considerations in increasing the supply of transplantable organs: From UAGA to “Baby Fae,” Am. J. Law Med. 10: 397–437.Google Scholar
- Starzl, T., 1984, Implied consent for cadaveric organ donation, DAMA 251: 1592.Google Scholar
- Uniform Anatomical Gift Act, 1985, Unif. Law Ann. 8A: 15.Google Scholar