Future Physical Environments and Concurrent Computation
Using graph-based representations of computation problems –, the communication function of a “pseudo-general purpose,” massively parallel computing environment is discussed to help define technology-focussed realizations of that communication function. Compatible computation problems are neither constrained to highly regular structures (such as systolic arrays and their generalizations ) nor extended to the globally non-deterministic behavior of many general purpose problems . A fully distributed , data driven  computing environment is assumed, emphasizing the impact of communications on algorithm execution . Evolution of such massively concurrent computing environments is necessary to sustain the growth of computing power as device technologies approach fundamental limits on dimensional scaling and higher device performance ,.
KeywordsMesh Network Communication Function Systolic Array Communication Delay Guarantee Time Slot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S.K. Tewksbury, Hierarchically localized mapping of signal processing algorithms onto programmable DSP’s, to be published.Google Scholar
- H.V. Jagadish, T. Kailath, J.A. Newkirk and R.G. Mathews On hardware description from block diagrams, Proc. 1984 Int. Conf. Acoust., Speech, Sig. Proc., pp. 8.4.1–8.4.4 (1984).Google Scholar
- P.H. Enslow and T.G. Saponas, Distributed and decentralized control in fully distributed processing systems: a survey of applicable models, Techn. Report GIT-ICS-81/02, Georgia Inst. of Technol. (Feb 1981).Google Scholar
- R.C. Aubusson and I. Catt, Wafer-scale integration - a fault tolerant procedure, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. SC-13, pp. 339–344 (1973).Google Scholar
- J.I. Raffel, et al., A wafer-scale integrator using restructurable VLSI, IEEE Trans. Elect. Dev., vol. ED-32, pp. 479–486 (1986).Google Scholar
- C.D. Chesley, Main memory wafer-scale integration, VLSI Design, vol. 6(3), pp. 54–58 (1985).Google Scholar
- M. Hatamian, S.K. Tewksbury, P. Franzon, L.A. Hornak, C.A. Siller and V.B. Lawrence, FIR filters for high sample rate applications,IEEE Communications, July 1987.Google Scholar
- P. Franzon, M. Hatamian, L.A. Hornak, T. Little and S.K. Tewksbury, Fundamental Interconnection Issues, AT&T Techn. J., Aug. 1987.Google Scholar
- P. Franzon and S.K. Tewksbury, ’Chip frame’ scheme for reconfigurable mesh connected arrays, Proc. IFIP Workshop on Wafer Scale Integration, Brunel Univ., (Sept. 1987).Google Scholar
- J. Grinberg, R.G.R. Mudd and R.D. Etchells, A cellular VLSI architecture, IEEE Computer, pp. 69–81 (Dec. 1984).Google Scholar
- J.W. Goodman, Optical interconnects in microelectronics, Proc. SPIE, vol. 456, pp. 72–85 (1984).Google Scholar
- Eds, Superconductivity at room temperature, Nature, vol. 327, pg. 357 (June 4, 1987).Google Scholar