Hierarchical Modeling for Reliability and Performance Measures
In this paper we model three aspects of fault-tolerant multiprocessor systems and study their influence on both performance and reliability measures in a combined way. These include concurrency, contention and fault-tolerance. Hierarchical modeling allows complex systems to be analyzed easily by splitting the overall model into layers. SHARPE is a powerful tool which allows the use of eight different model types that can be hierarchically combined to obtain a solution for some measure of the whole system. SHARPE also allows general distributions and hence instead of assuming exponentially distributed random variables, we can model more realistic cases. Examples presented here are small for ease of explanation; however, larger problems have also been solved within this framework. This paper thus lays the ground work for modeling existing systems with real data using these techniques.
KeywordsMarkov Model Completion Time Hierarchical Modeling Failure Probability Server Failure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Grnarov, L. Kleinrock and M. Gerla. A new algorithm for network reliability computation. In Proc. of Comp. Network Symposium, December 1979.Google Scholar
- J. A. B. Fortes and C. S. Raghavendra. Dynamically reconfigurable fault-tolerant array processors. In Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. on Fault-Tolerant Computing, FTCS-1.(, pages 386–392, 1984.Google Scholar
- K. Hwang and F. A. Briggs. Computer Architecture and Parallel Processing. McGraw Hill, 1984.Google Scholar
- J.F. Meyer. Performability modeling of distributed real-time systems. In Intl Workshop on Applied Mathematics and Performance Reliability Models of Computer Communication Systems, Univ. of Pisa, 1983.Google Scholar
- Sheldon M. Ross. Stochastic Processes. John Wiley & Sons, 1983.Google Scholar
- R. Sahner and K. S. Trivedi. Performance and reliability analysis using directed acyclic graphs. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, pp. 1105–1114, October 1987.Google Scholar
- R. Sahner and K. S. Trivedi. Reliability modeling using SHARPE. IEEE Transactions on Reliability, R-36(2): 186–193, June 1987.Google Scholar
- R. A. Sahner and K. S. Trivedi. SHARPE: Symbolic Hierarchical Automated Reliability and Performance Evaluator, Introduction and Guide for Users. Technical Report, Duke University, Durham, NC, September 1986.Google Scholar
- Kishor S. Trivedi. Probability & Statistics with Reliability, Queuing & Computer Science Applications. Prentice-Hall, 1982.Google Scholar