Wake Fields: Limitations and Possibilities
If we consider the electric and magnetic fields surrounding a relativistic point charge, we see that they are nearly transverse to the direction of motion, having an angular spread of the order of 1/γ, as shown in Fig. 1. A conducting obstacle to one side of the charge a distance b, say, will intercept a portion of these fields and scatter them so that a second charge, following the first on the same path a distance s behind, will experience the scattered fields after the time it takes the speed of light to go from the scatterer to the axis of travel.
KeywordsPoint Charge Scattered Field Transverse Oscillation Transformer Ratio Wake Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abramowitz, M. and Stegun, I. A., eds., “Handbook of Mathematical Functions”, NBS AMS-55, p. 297.Google Scholar
- Bane, K. L. F., Private Communication, 1984.Google Scholar
- Bane, K. L. F., Landau Damping in the SLAC Linac, IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. NS-32, 1985, pp. 2389–2891.Google Scholar
- Bane, K. L. F., On Collinear Wake Field Acceleration, IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. NS-32, 1985, pp. 3524–3526.Google Scholar
- Bane, K. L. F., Wilson, P. B., and Weiland, T., “Physics of High Energy Particle Accelerators”, BNL/SUNY Summer School, 1983, M. Month, P. Dahl, and M. Dienes, eds., AIP Conference Proceedings No. 127 (American Institute of Physics, New York, 1985), pp. 875–928.Google Scholar
- Chao, A. and Morton, P. L., PEP-Note-105, SLAC, 1975.Google Scholar
- Chao, A., Coherent Instabilities of a Relativistic Bunched Beam, Physics of High Energy Particle Accelerators, AIP Conf. Proc. No. 105, (Am. Inst, of Physics, New York, 1983).Google Scholar
- Cooper, R. K., Krinsky, S., and Morton, P. L., Transverse Wake Force in Periodically Varying Waveguide, Particle Accelerators 12, 1979, pp. 1–12.Google Scholar
- Gluckstern, R. L., Cooper, R. K., and Channell, P. J., Cumulative Beam Breakup in RF Linacs, Particle Accelerators 16, 1985, pp. 125–153.Google Scholar
- Wake Field Study Group, The, A Wake Field Transformer Experiment, Proc. 12th International Conference on High Energy Accelerators, Fermilab, 1983, pp. 454–456.Google Scholar
- Weiland, T., Wake Field Work at DESY, IEEE Trans, on Nucl. Sci. NS-32, 1985, pp. 3471–3475.Google Scholar
- Wilson, P. B., Physics of High Energy Accelerators, AIP Conference Proceedings No. 87 (Am. Inst. of Physics, New York, 1982).Google Scholar