High-Brightness Circular Accelerators
In plasma physics the magnetic fields are usually sufficiently large that the gyro-radius of particles is small compared to any characteristic dimension so that the adiabatic or drift approximation is valid. This is illustrated in Fig. 1 where the particles follow the helical field lines except for slow drifts of the guiding center. The small oscillations shown are the cyclotron motion which is averaged out, i.e., it does not appear in the approximate equations of motion.
KeywordsStellarator Winding Adiabatic Approximation Runaway Electron Toroidal Field Toroidal Magnetic Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cavenago, M., and Rostoker, N., 1986, Modified Elongated Betatron Accelerator, “Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on High Power Particle Beams”, June 9–12, 1986, Kobe, Japan.Google Scholar
- Daugherty, J. D., Eninger, J., and Janes, G. S., 1971, “AVCO Everett Research Report 375” (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Fisher, A., Rostoker, N., Pearlman, J., and Whitham, K., 1985, Laser Extraction of an Electron Beam from MEBA, “Particle Accelerator Conference, Vancouver, B.C.”, May 13–15.Google Scholar
- Golden, J., Mako, F., Floyd, L., McDonald, K., Smith, T., Dialetis, D., Marsh, S. J., and Kapetanakos, C. A., 1986, Progress in the Development of the NRL Modified Betatron Accelerator, “Proc 6th Int. Conf. on High Power Particle Beams”, June 9–12, 1986, Kobe, Japan.Google Scholar
- Ishizuka, H., Saul, J., Fisher, A., and Rostoker, N., 1986, Beam Acceleration in the UCI Stellarator, “Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on High Power Particle Beams”, June 9–12, 1986, Kobe, Japan.Google Scholar
- Kerst, D. W., Adams, G. D., Koch, H. W., and Robinson, C. S., 1949/50, An 80 Mev Model of a 300 Mev Betatron and a 300 Mev Betatron. Phys. Rev. Lett., 75:330;Google Scholar
- Kerst, D. W., Adams, G. D., Koch, H. W., and Robinson, C. S., 1949/50, An 80 Mev Model of a 300 Mev Betatron and a 300 Mev Betatron. Phys. Rev. Lett., 78:297.Google Scholar
- Mandelbaum, B., 1985, A Study of a Modified Betatron with Stellarator Windings, Ph.D. thesis, University of California, Irvine.Google Scholar
- Manheimer, W., 1985, The Plasma Assisted Modified Betatron, Particle Accel.Google Scholar
- Roberson, C. W., Mondelli, A., and Chernin, D., 1985, The Stellatron Accelerator, Particle Accel., 17:29.Google Scholar
- Sprangle, D., and Chernin, D., 1984, Beam Current Limitation Due to Instabilities in Modified and Conventional Betatrons, Particle Accel., 15:2089.Google Scholar