Biological Action of Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I In Vivo
It has been well known that somatomedin-C/insulin-like growth factor-I (SmC/IGF-I) stimulates cell proliferation and cell differentiation and an insulin-like action in vitro (1). However, there have been only a few reports on the effects of SmC/IGF-I in vivo because of scarcity of pure extracted SmC/IGF-I (2–4). Recently, insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) has been synthesized by recombinant DNA technology (5–7). With the availability of large quantities of the biosynthetic IGF-I, the biological effects of IGF-I in vivo in rats have been studied (8–12). In this paper, the results of our study for biological action of IGF-I in vivo are reported.
KeywordsBlood Urea Nitrogen Level Serum Total Cholesterol Level Body Body Weight Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Van Buul-Offers S, Van den Brande JL. Effect of growth hormone and peptide fractions containing somatomedin activity on growth and cartilage metabolism of snell dwarf mice. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1979; 92: 242–57.Google Scholar
- 4.Schoenle E, Zapf J, Hauri C, Steiner T, Froesch ER. Comparison of in vivo effects on insulin-like growth factor I and II and growth hormone in hypophysectomized rats. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1985; 108: 167–74.Google Scholar
- 7.Horlein D, Buell G, Schultz F, Hirschi M, Burleigh BD. Characteriza tion of two forms of somatomedin-C produced by recombinant bacteria [Abstract No. 250]. 67th Annual Meeting of The Endocrine Society, Baltimore, 1985.Google Scholar
- 11.Valliant SW, Peters M, Finley S, Fagin K. Insulin-like growth factor-I[Thr59]: hypoglycemic potency and pharmacokinetics in conscious rats [Abstract No. 392], 68th Annual Meeting of The Endocrine Society, Anaheim, 1986.Google Scholar
- 12.Asada T, Seki J, Horiai H, et al. Bioactivity of IGF-I/somatomedin C produced by recombinant DNA technology [Abstract No. 351]. Folia Endocrinol Japon 1985; 61 (suppl): 1030.Google Scholar
- 14.Daughaday WH, Mariz IK, Blethen SL. Inhibition of access of bound somatomedin to membrane receptor and immunobinding sites: a comparison of radioreceptor and radioimmunoassay of somatomedin in native and acid-ethanol-extracted serum. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1980; 51: 781–8.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Seki J, Asada T, Horiai H, et al. Biological activity of IGF-I/Somatomedin C produced by recombinant DNA technology; insulinlike effect [Abstract No. 798]. Folia Endocrinol Japon 1986; 62(suppl) :495.Google Scholar