Comparison of Growth Effects of rhIGF-l in Diabetic and Hypox Rats with those of Insulin and Growth Hormone
Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) stimulates replication of cultured cells in vitro (1–3). In contrast to other growth factors, IGF-I does not lead to dedifferentiation of differentiated cells in culture, but rather maintains or even enhances the degree of differentiation of cultured cells (2,4,5). In view of (1) these in vitro findings, (2) the similarity of action between insulin and IGF-I on differentiation (2–5), and (3) several reports on growth stimulation by IGF-I in hypox and other animals (6–8), we decided to investigate the action of recombinant human IGF-I (rhIGF-I) on diabetic and hypophysectomized rats. In addition, acute effects of IGF yere studied in man (9,10).
KeywordsGrowth Hormone Free Fatty Acid Level Longitudinal Bone Growth Osteoblastlike Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Morell B, Froesch ER. Fibroblasts as an experimental tool in metabolic and hormone studies. II. Effects of insulin and non- suppressible insulin-like activity (NSILA-s) on fibroblasts in culture. Eur J Clin Invest 1973; 3: 119.Google Scholar
- 5.Froesch ER, Schmid C, Zangger I, Schoenle E, Eigenmann E, Zapf J. Effects of IGF/somatomedins on growth and differentiation of muscle and bone. J Anim Sci 1986; 63 (suppl 2): 57.Google Scholar
- 9.Guler HP, Zenobi P, Zapf J, et al. IGF-I and II and recombinant human (rh) IGF-I are hypoglycemic in the rat, mini-pig and men [Abstract]. Anaheim, CA: The Endocrine Society, 1986.Google Scholar
- 10.Guler HP, Zapf J, Froesch ER. Acute metabolic effects of recombinant human insulin-like growth factor I (rhIGF-I) in healthy adult men. N Engl J Med (in press) 1987.Google Scholar
- 16.Guler HP, Zapf J, Froesch ER. infusion of recombinant human insulin-like growth factor I (rhIGF-I) stimulates growth of hypophysectomized rats continuously during 18 days [Abstract]. Copenhagen: First European Congress of Endocrinology, 1987.Google Scholar
- 17.Guler HP, Zapf J, Scheiwiller E, Froesch ER. Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor I stimulates growth and has specific effects on organ size in hypophysectomized rats. (Submitted.)Google Scholar
- 24.Widmer U, Schmid C, Zapf J, Froesch ER. Effects of insulin-like growth factors on chick embryo hepatocytes. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1985; 108: 237.Google Scholar