In Situ Hybridization Study of Neurohypophysial Hormone mRNAS
Neurohypophysial hormones, nonapeptides synthesized in hypothalamic magnocellular neurosecretory neurons, have been considered to function not only as neurohormones, but also as neurotransmitters or neuromodulators (Buijs, 1984; Jokura and Urano, 1987). In mammals, vasopressin is involved in osmotic and cardiovascular regulation, and oxytocin stimulates uterine contraction and milk ejection. However, there is no known role for oxytocin in males. Further, physiological roles of many other neurohypophysial hormones in lower vertebrates are not clear yet, mainly because of the lack of knowledge concerning secretory and synthetic activities of neurosecretory neurons in response to physiological stimuli. It is therefore probable that identification of stimuli which regulate synthetic activity of neurohypophysial hormones will help understanding of a biological significance for these hormones.
KeywordsWater Deprivation Neurohypophysial Hormone Cross Species Hybridization Autoradiographic Signal Vasopressin mRNA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buijs, R. M., 1984, Extrahypothalamic pathways of a neurosecretory system: their role in neurotransmission, in: “Neurosecretion and the Biology of Neuropeptides,” H. Kobayashi, H. A. Bern, and A. Urano, ed., Jap. Sci. Soc. Press, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- Fujiwara, M., Hyodo, S., Sato, M., and Urano, A., 1985, Changes in vasopressin and oxytocin mRNA levels in the rat hypothalamus by oral hypertonic saline, Zool. Sci., 2: 990.Google Scholar
- Jokura, Y., and Urano, A., 1987, Extrahypothalamic projection of immunoreactive vasotocin fibers in the brain of the toad, Bufo iaponicus, Zool. Sci., 4: 675.Google Scholar
- Nojiri, H., Sato, M., and Urano, A., 1986, Increase in the vasopressin mRNA levels in the magnocellular neurosecretory neurons of water-deprived rats: in situ hybridization study with the use of synthetic oligonucleotide probe, Zool. Sci., 3.345.Google Scholar
- Sherman, T. G., McKelvy, J. F., and Watson, S.J., 1986, Vasopressin mRNA regulation in individual hypothalamic nuclei: a northern and in situ hybridization analysis, J. Neurosci., 6: 1685.Google Scholar