The acceptability of risk is a complex subject. Judgments of acceptability are made at many levels—by individuals, families and other groups, and by the society at large. A risk may be acceptable to the consumer of a product or technology, but those who receive no benefit but some risk from the technology may disagree. A risk which was accepted in prospect may become unacceptable in hindsight.
KeywordsRisk Management Acceptable Risk Risk Control Nuclear Regulatory Commission Fatality Risk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adler, H. L., and Weinberg, A. M., 1978, An approach to setting radiation standards, Health Phys. 34:710–720.Google Scholar
- Hammer, W., 1980, Product Safety Management and Engineering ,Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- International Commission on Radiological Protection Publication 26, 1977, Recommendations of the Interna tional Commission on Radiological Protection ,Pergamon Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Rothschild, N., 1979, “Coming to Grips with Risk,” The Wall Street Journal ,May 13.Google Scholar
- Smith, K., 1980, “Risk Analysis: Toward a Standard Method,” Presented at the American/European Nuclear Societies’ Meeting on Thermal Reactor Safety, Knoxville, April 8–11.Google Scholar
- U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, 1974, Comparative Risk-Cost-Benefit Study of Alternate Sources of Electrical Energy ,WASH 1224, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, 1975, Reactor Safety Study: An Assessment of Accident Risks in U.S. Commercial Nuclear Power Plants ,WASH 1400 (NUREG-75/014).Google Scholar
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, 1983, Safety Goals for Nuclear Power Plants ,NUREG-0880, Revision 1 for Comment, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Whipple, C., 1984, “Risk Approaches in Setting Radiation Standards,” Presented at the AIF Conference on Radiation Protection: Standards and Regulatory Issues, Orlando, Oct. 9.Google Scholar
- Whipple, C., 1985, Redistributing risk, Regulation (May/June).Google Scholar
- Whipple, C. (ed.), 1987, De Minimis Risk ,Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar