An Information Systems Software Engineering Methodology
This paper describes an Information Systems Software Engineering Methodology developed by SofTech, Inc. It is for the development and maintenance of large information systems. The methodology is extensive, covering all technical aspects of software development (and maintenance). The manner in which the methods are used together is the essence of the methodology. As it cannot be completely explained here, this paper will give an overview of the methodology and focus on the integration of the methods in the software life cycle.
The material covered is based primarily on work done for the U.S. Army Information Systems Engineering Command (ISEC)*. ISEC is making a concerted effort to modernize many of the large systems it currently supports. Advanced technology in database, distributed, and interactive systems will play a key role in providing users with state-of-the-art systems.
ISEC is also preparing to transition to the use of the Ada** programming language. This methodology supports the use of Ada, but, is not dependent upon it. The methodology is also intended to be implemented with a complete set of tools such as those of an Ada Programming Support Environment (APSE). The methodology does not completely cover any one technique. More detailed information regarding methods, tools, and areas such as database and distributed systems will be necessary depending on the nature of the project.
KeywordsConfiguration Management Formal Review Life Cycle Model Life Cycle Phase Software Requirement Specification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Freeman, P., and Wasserman, A. I., 1982, Software Development Methodologies and Ada.Google Scholar
- Rubey, R. J., 1985, Software Development Guide, SofTech Inc., Fairborn, OH, July 1985.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, W., 1986, ISEC Methods and Tools Requirements Analysis Interim Report, SofTech Inc., Waltham, MA, July 1986.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, W., 1986, ISEC Methods and Tools Recommendation Interim Report, SofTech Inc., Waltham, MA, July 1986.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, W., 1986, DRAFT ISEC Software Engineering Guide, SofTech Inc., Waltham, MA, August 1986.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, W., 1983, Army Automation Software Design and Development, Technical Bulletin 18–103, U.S. Department of the Army, Washington, D.C., February 1983.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, W., 1983, Defense System Software Development, DOD-STD-2167, U.S. Department of Defense, Washington, D.C., 1983.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, W, 1986, DRAFT Generic Tools Requirements for ISEC Ada Transition, Technical Report MJ86-ISEC-065, Teledyne Brown Engineering, Washington D.C., June 1986.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, W., 1986, Procedures for Contemporary Life Cycle Development (Draft), U.S. Army Information Systems Software Development Center, Fort Lee, VA, May 1986.Google Scholar