Generation of a Neutrophil Chemoattractant of the Lipoxygenase Pathway by Irradiated Bovine Aortic Endothelial Cells
We investigated the capacity of cultured bovine aortic endothelial cells (BAEC) to generate chemotactic factor(s) following ionizing radiation injury. BAEC in serum-free medium were irradiated, and the conditioned medium was assayed for chemotactic activity using normal human neutrophils in Boyden chambers. A rapid release of chemotactic activity dependent on the dose of radiation and the time between irradiation and collection of the medium was found. Damage of BAEC by freezing and thawing was not associated with the release of chemotactic activity. The chemotactic activity produced by irradiated BAEC was not destroyed by boiling or by treatment with trypsin, and its release was inhibited by pretreatment of the cells with a lipoxygenase inhibitor but not with a cyclooxygenase inhibitor. The release of chemotactic activity by vascular endothelium may account for the acute inflammatory response observed following ionizing irradiation.
KeywordsConditioned Medium Chemotactic Factor Boyden Chamber Irradiate Cell Chemotactic Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Law, M. P. Radiation induced vascular injury and its relation to late effects of normal tissues. Adv. in Radiation Biol. 9: 37–93, 1981.Google Scholar
- 7.Matzner, Y., Partridge R. E. H., and Babior, B. M. Chemotactic inhibitor in synovial fluid. Immunol. 49: 131–138, 1983.Google Scholar
- 8.Zigmud, S. H., and Hirsch, J. G. Leukocyte locomotion and Chemotaxis. New methods for evaluation and demonstration of cell-derived chemotactic factor. J. Exp. Med. 137: 387–410, 1973.Google Scholar
- 9.O’Brien, R., Seton, M., Makarski, J., Center, D., and Rounds, S. Endothelial cells treated with thiourea release a chemoattractant for neutrophils (abstr). Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 125: 229, 1982.Google Scholar
- 10.Faber, H. W., Center, D. N., and Rounds, S. Hypoxic endothelial cells release a neutrophil chemoattractant (abstr). Circulation 68, Supp III-7: 292, 1983.Google Scholar