Mankind’s progress has already been dependent on the applications of high performance polymers. Those polymers, such as proteinaceous tendons, silk and sisal fibers, and wood are not usually classified as high performance engineering polymers, but these naturally occurring products have high tensile strengths and durability and continue to be essential for our survival (1).
KeywordsTerephthalic Acid Sisal Fiber Heat Distortion Temperature High Performance Polymer Condensation Polymer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. F. Mark, Chapter 1 in “High Performance Polymers: Their Origin and Development.” R. B. Seymour and G. S. Kirshenbaum,eds., Elsevier Science Publishing Company, New York, NY, 1986.Google Scholar
- 2.H. F. Mark and G. S. Whitby, eds., “Collected Papers of W. H. Carothers”, Interscience Publishing Company, New York, NY, 1940.Google Scholar
- 3.M. I. Kohan, editor, “Nylon Plastics”, Wiley Interscience, New York, NY, 1973.Google Scholar
- 4.V. V. Korshak and S. V. Vinogradova, “Polyesters”, Pergamon Press, New York, NY, 1965.Google Scholar
- 5.R. O. Carhard, Chapter 3 in “Engineering Thermoplastics: Properties and Applications”, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, NY, 1985.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Bettleheim Plast Technol 31 20, 22 (1985).Google Scholar
- 7.R. B. Seymour, “Polymers for Engineering Applications” American Society for Metals, Metals Park, OH, 1987.Google Scholar
- 8.A. L. Hay, Chapter 21 in “High Performance Polymers: Their Origin and Development”, R. B. Seymour and G. S. Kirshenbaum, editors, Elsevier Science Press, New York, NY, 1986.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Frados, Plastic Focus 16 (49) 1, 2 (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.E. Helmes, et al, “Chemical Economics Handbook”, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA 1984.Google Scholar
- 11.M. T. Bogert and R. R. Renshaw, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 30 1140 (1908)Google Scholar
- 12.J. J. King and B. H. Lee, Chapter 19 in “High Performance Polymers: Their Origin and Development”, R. B. Seymour, G. S. Kirshenbaum, editors, Elsevier Science Press, New York, NY, 1986.Google Scholar