Handmade metal cans which were introduced in France in 1810, were improved and became the standard containers for processed foods a century later. However, the major breakthrough in packaging was the introduction of transparent regenerated cellulose film (cellophane) packaging which was invented by Brandenburg in Switzerland in 1908 and produced in the U.S. in 1924.
KeywordsShipping Container Machine Direction LDPE Film Packaging Film High Impact Polystyrene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. E. Peters, ed., “Packaging Encyclopedia” Cahner Publishing Company, Boston, MA, 1985.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Bakker, ed., The Wiley Encyclopedia of Packaging Technology, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, 1986Google Scholar
- 3.J. Sroston, 1983, ed., “Plastic Films”, Longmans Inc., New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- 4.R. A. Elden, and A. D. Swan, “Calendering of Plastics”, American Elsevier Company, Inc., New York, NY, 1971.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Mallefer, Mod Plast 40 1 32 (1963).Google Scholar
- 6.G. Schenkel, “Plastics Extrusion and Technology” American Elsevier Publishing Company, New York, NY, 1983Google Scholar