The coatings industry has now exceeded the $10 billion mark in sales and approached the billion gallon mark in 1986. The breakdown of coatings use is essentially between three sectors of industry: Trade sales or architectural coatings accounting for about $4.1 billion, OEM or industrial coatings $3.5 billion and specialty coatings, $2.4 billion. Trade sales is the largest sector and the biggest money earner. Industrial sales are led by the transportation industry for cars, trucks, buses and aircraft. This is followed by the container industry, coil coaters, wood finishers and machine and equipment producers. The appliance industry consumes large quantities of coatings including powder, water borne, solvent soluble and coil coatings.
KeywordsCoating Industry Trade Sale Industrial Coating Electrostatic Spray Coil Coating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anon. Chemical Business. October 1986 p. 12Google Scholar
- 2.Brewer, G.E.F., Journal of Paint Technology, 45, No. 587, 36 (1973)Google Scholar
- 3.Miranda, T. J., Journal of Coatings Technology, 57, No. 721 22 (1985)Google Scholar
- 4.May, C. Journal of Paint Technology, 42 No. 552 43 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.Bosso, J and M. Wismer, Chemical Engineering, 1971, 78 (13), 114Google Scholar
- 6.Wismer, M, Journal of Coatings Technology, 58, No. 743, 57 (1986).Google Scholar
- 7.Gaske, J. Coil Coating, Federation of Societies for Coatings Technology Series. 1987 Edited by D. R. Brezinski and T. J. MirandaGoogle Scholar
- 9.Costanza, J., R. Silveri, and J. A. Vona, Radiation Cured Coatings, Federation of Societies for Coatings Technology Series. 1986. Edited by D. R. Brezinski and T. J. MirandaGoogle Scholar
- 10.Koleske, J. V. and T. M. Austin, J. Coatings Technology, 58 No. 472 47 (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.Gribble, P. Metal Finishing Feb. 1987 p. 77Google Scholar
- 12.Webster, O. W., W. R. Hertler, D. Y. Sogah, W. B. Farnham, and T. V. RajanBabu, Polymer Preprints 24, No. 2, 52, (1983).Google Scholar
- 13.Sogah, D. Y. and O. W. Webster, Polymer Preprints 24, No. 2, 52, (1983).Google Scholar