Purine Metabolites in Uraemia
Many investigators have described the large number of unknown solutes of low molecular weight, within the purine range, which accumulate in the plasma during progressive reduction in renal function (1). Their identification is important both in terms of understanding the toxicity which occurs in uraemia and in devising new therapeutic approaches, particularly for dialysis. The question is whether some of these could be purines and if so what would the significance of this be? Elevated plasma cAMP levels which correlated with plasma creatinine concentrations were the first purines to be implicated in renal failure (1). Since all cells require a balanced supply of purines for growth and survival it is clear that there may be other abnormalities.
KeywordsUric Acid High Pressure Liquid Chromatographic Purine Nucleoside Phosphorylase Urea Cycle Disorder Reversed Phase High Pressure Liquid Chromatographic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Henderson JF, Paterson ARP. Nucleotide Metabolism: an introduction. NY: Academic Press 1973.Google Scholar
- 3.Simmonds HA, Van Acker KJ. Adenine phosphoribosyltransferase deficiency: 2,8-dihydroxyadenine lithiasis. Chapter 52. In: Stanbury JB, Wyngaarden JB, Fredricksen DA, Goldstein JL, Brown MS, eds. The metabolic basis of inherited disease. NY: McGraw-Hill, 1983; 5th edition: 1144–1156.Google Scholar
- 5.Various authors. Ibid.Google Scholar
- 6.Niklasson F. Experimental and clinical studies on human purine metabolism. Abstracts of Uppsala Dissertations from the Faculty of Medicine. Uppsala: Fyrus Tryk, 1983.Google Scholar
- 9.Cohen BD. Uraemia: pillar of salt or column of nitrogen? Editorial. Dialysis & Transplantation 1980; 9:535–538.Google Scholar
- 10.Mikami H, Orita Y, Ando A, Fujii M, Kikuchi T, Yoshihara K, Okada A, Abe H. Metabolic pathway of guanidino compounds in chronic renal failure. In: Lowenthal A, Mori A, Marescau B, eds. Urea cycle disorders. NY:Plenum Press 1983:449–458.Google Scholar
- 12.Simmonds HA, Cameron JS, Morris GS, Davies PM. Allopurinol in renal failure and the tumour lysis syndrome. Clin Chim Acta 1986; in press.Google Scholar
- 14.Kishi T, Kittaka E, Hyodo S, Kashiwa H, Karakawa T, Suzawa T, Sakura N, Sakano T, Usui T. Inhibition by adenine of in vitro immunological functions of normal and adenine phosphoribosyltransferase deficient human lymphocytes. Immunopathol. 1985;10:157–162.Google Scholar
- 16.Morris GS, Simmonds HA. A single system for the evaluation of purine and pyrimidine nucleosides and bases together with their analogues in biological fluids. Adv Exp Med Biol 1986; 195A:593–601.Google Scholar